Engine repairable? - Mercruiser 470 Blowing oil out vent - should I donate

45Auto

Commander
Re: Engine repairable? - Mercruiser 470 Blowing oil out vent - should I donate

Sometimes I wonder if people object to the fact that it is a Merc. motor; not their favorite Ford or Chevy. True; I suppose, but that's a Merc. outdrive behind that Ford or Chevy, and no-one knocks them as hard as they knock the Merc. motor.

Nobody cares who made the motor. The 470 gets knocked because of a very basic design flaw. Mercury wanted a cheap motor so they could make more money. To keep costs down Merc went with an "open deck" block which allows very simple and cheap tooling for casting. You can cast it with re-usable hard tooling as opposed to the one-use sand molds required by a "closed deck" engine. The hard tooling also allows much closer casting tolerances which minimizes machining costs.

Ever wondered why there's no "freeze plugs" (really casting plugs) on a 470? The "freeze plugs" on a closed deck block are there to get the sand mold out of the water jacket after the block is cast. On the 470, the water jacket mold just slides out the top of the block to be re-used.

Unfortunately, while saving lots of money on tooling and manufacturing, it leaves the top of the cylinders unsupported.

Merc 470 block from Mercruiser Manual #8. Notice how the top of the cylinders are NOT connected to the block. The head gasket seals on the thin ring at the top of each cylinder.
M8470.jpg

Pic of a 5.7L V8 block. You can see how the top of the cylinders are fully supported by being an integral part of the block casting. Every marine engine EXCEPT the 470 is built like this with sand-cast tooling and fully supported cylinders.
v8-1.jpg

Combine the 470's open deck design with an aluminum block and an iron head and it makes it even worse. CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) of aluminum is about 12, cast iron is less than 6. This means that the aluminum block expands twice as fast as the iron head. They move around in relation to each other.

Throw typical boat use and maintenance into the discussion and you can understand why they quit making 470's 20 years ago. Typical boat owners run through mud, grass, etc with the intake clogged until the overheat buzzer goes off. Typical boat owner maintenance is to replace the impellor when the engine overheats.

The 470's design is EXTREMELY intolerant of overheating. The unsupported aluminum cylinders move around in relation to the iron head and blow the head gasket. Once this happens, many owners only know that "it's not running right" and will proceed to keep using the boat or drive it back to the dock. The engine will be totally trashed. While a severe overheat on a closed-deck block will frequently warp a cylinder head, the same thing on a 470 will warp the block because of the open-deck, unsupported cylinders. While it's usually cost-effective to surface a warped cylinder head to get it back into spec, it doesn't work out that way when the block is what warps.

Honda uses open deck blocks on many of their popular engines for the same production reasons. It's cheap. They also use an aluminum head with the aluminum block so everything expands at the same rate. Works great for most people. However, if you want to put a sustained load on these motors (kind of like a boat motor), the first thing hot rodders do is to weld a "deck plate" onto these engines which ties the top of the cylinders to the block. Google "Honda deck plate" sometimes.

From ERL Performance:
For example, a stock Honda B16 can be transformed into the popular Honda B18. The deck plate, made from billet aluminum, not only raises the deck height but strengthens the block with an integrated deck support. The SUPERDECK II deck support constrains the top of the sleeve in an open deck block to prevent head gasket failure from sleeve movement.

If you're happy with your 470 and willing to make sure you never overheat it, it'll work great for you. Of course, you'll also have the alternator and cam seal problems to worry about but those are pretty easy to remedy although they are not cheap if you have to pay someone to do it for you.

To sum it up, under typical consumer use, the 470 was a disaster for Mercury. It can't stand up to the way the majority of the people maintain and use their boats.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a few weeks back I saw a very clean chevy Vega of about a 1975 version.
must mean ALL chevy vegas made it and none rusted.
the 3.7L MCM was a disaster from the outset.
when it finally reached the end of production most the bugs,other than the cooling system and open deck issues, had been resolved.
but it was to late.
after blowing head gaskets for no apperent reason the second biggest flaw in the mechanical side I saw were cracked maifolds allowing coolent into #4 which lead back to problem 1 and usually destroyed #4 cyl in the process.
couple that with blowing ex manifold gaskets and distributer point plate grounding issues, wasnt all bad.
I made a lot of money on them but will no longer touch one to to the amount of NLA parts.
lots of techs struggled with them, mostly due to reading comprehension or lack of.
lots of small quirks in the 3.7 design that are simply not seen on most modern engines.
like how to properly alighn the head to the block.
and how to properly check and adjust valve lash.
run it without the t-stat,pop a head gasket and/or crack a manifold.
the 3.7L probably generated more tech bullitens than all other MCM engines combined.

install the heat exchanger caps incorrectly, and they fit either way, pop a head gasket.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Nobody cares who made the motor. The 470 gets knocked because of a very basic design flaw. Mercury wanted a cheap motor so they could make more money. To keep costs down Merc went with an "open deck" block which allows very simple and cheap tooling for casting. You can cast it with re-usable hard tooling as opposed to the one-use sand molds required by a "closed deck" engine.

To sum it up, under typical consumer use, the 470 was a disaster for Mercury. It can't stand up to the way the majority of the people maintain and use their boats.

Wow, thanks for that, very informative--definitely the best "why the 470 sucks" argument I have read, and the only one that (I think) touches on legit design issues. that said, there are upsides to the design. Lightweight, no cracked blocks, maintenance SHOULD be cheaper than a fwc v engine (only 1 mani/riser, no salt issues with the manifold), etc. Tradeoffs in every design.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

MMO contains solvents such as such as kerosene, naphthalene, xylene, acetone or isopropanol.

It cannot restore compression, and there are no tests that can demonstrate it does. Anecdotal evidence, such as "oh, these magnets cured my arthritis" can point to any amount of nonsense.
Yeah.....

It always kills me that there's always people that think MMO (and other Snake-oils) aresome kind of special double secret magic sauce that does something remarkable in an engine when added to either the oil or the fuel.....

Some years ago, MMO was added to fuel in an aircraft engine and the NTSB had the following to say about it at http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20020916X01610&ntsbno=NYC02LA181&akey=1

According to the FAA inspector, the additive that was added to the fuel was Marvel Mystery Oil. An empty 1 gallon can of Marvel Mystery Oil was found in the operator's trash. Instructions found on the can stated that the correct ratio for mixing with fuel was 1 part additive to 100 parts fuel. The contents of Marvel Mystery Oil were 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.
I am sorry for the hijack ....but 74% oil, 25% Stoddard Solvent and 1% lard, IS NOT going to "fix" anything in an engine. What "needs' to be done has been indicated above....

Cheers,

Rick

coheej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: ENGINE REPAIR - worth it? Mercruiser 470 Blowing oil out vent

Re: ENGINE REPAIR - worth it? Mercruiser 470 Blowing oil out vent

Thanks for your Info,

Philster, the oil was brown. I was running the engine at about 2200 RPM for 10 mintues when I heard a knocking coming from engine. Shut down, openned engine area and saw all the oil that had come out the vent hole that leads to the spark arrestor on the air intake. Had a friend bring out oil to us. Filled back up and it took 3 quarters. Started engine and oil started pooring out vent so shut it off and got towed back to launch.

The day before was the first day I had the boat out. Ran it for about an hour pulling a skier and a boat cruise. It ran perfect! 3800RPM - 41 MPH skimming over the water.

Can the rings fail that fast? (FYI 4 cyl pressure 75)

OK... real question. The boat is dead for me. A friend of the family runs a camp here in Minnesota. He has an old military mechanic on staff. He want to have the Mechanic to work on it this winter. I am willing to give the boat to him. (the fiberglass boat is in great shape) Do you think the engine is salvageable, worth taking the time to try and fix? If labor is basically free, how much to rebuild the engine? I don't want to give him something that really cannot be repaired.

Mark

You mentioned in this post that you heard a knock. IF it was actual a knock than no oil is going to fix the problem. You're looking at a complete teardown.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow does the full moon cause this or did some people just have a crappy weekend? Sorry about your boat but unfortunately its a rebuild to fix it. If you are giving it away let the person your giving it to decide if its fixable. I'm sure he won't complain. Hope you find a better boat next time so you don't have to watch these guys bash each other. And just an FYI I have also fixed a compression issue with the MMO. The rings were stuck and the MMO allowed then to spring back out and reseat in the cylinder. Just because it hasn't worked for you doesn't make it wrong.

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nobody cares who made the motor. The 470 gets knocked because of a very basic design flaw. Mercury wanted a cheap motor so they could make more money. To keep costs down Merc went with an "open deck" block which allows very simple and cheap tooling for casting. You can cast it with re-usable hard tooling as opposed to the one-use sand molds required by a "closed deck" engine. The hard tooling also allows much closer casting tolerances which minimizes machining costs.

Ever wondered why there's no "freeze plugs" (really casting plugs) on a 470? The "freeze plugs" on a closed deck block are there to get the sand mold out of the water jacket after the block is cast. On the 470, the water jacket mold just slides out the top of the block to be re-used.

Unfortunately, while saving lots of money on tooling and manufacturing, it leaves the top of the cylinders unsupported.

Merc 470 block from Mercruiser Manual #8. Notice how the top of the cylinders are NOT connected to the block. The head gasket seals on the thin ring at the top of each cylinder.
M8470.jpg

Pic of a 5.7L V8 block. You can see how the top of the cylinders are fully supported by being an integral part of the block casting. Every marine engine EXCEPT the 470 is built like this with sand-cast tooling and fully supported cylinders.
v8-1.jpg

Combine the 470's open deck design with an aluminum block and an iron head and it makes it even worse. CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) of aluminum is about 12, cast iron is less than 6. This means that the aluminum block expands twice as fast as the iron head. They move around in relation to each other.

Throw typical boat use and maintenance into the discussion and you can understand why they quit making 470's 20 years ago. Typical boat owners run through mud, grass, etc with the intake clogged until the overheat buzzer goes off. Typical boat owner maintenance is to replace the impellor when the engine overheats.

The 470's design is EXTREMELY intolerant of overheating. The unsupported aluminum cylinders move around in relation to the iron head and blow the head gasket. Once this happens, many owners only know that "it's not running right" and will proceed to keep using the boat or drive it back to the dock. The engine will be totally trashed. While a severe overheat on a closed-deck block will frequently warp a cylinder head, the same thing on a 470 will warp the block because of the open-deck, unsupported cylinders. While it's usually cost-effective to surface a warped cylinder head to get it back into spec, it doesn't work out that way when the block is what warps.

Honda uses open deck blocks on many of their popular engines for the same production reasons. It's cheap. They also use an aluminum head with the aluminum block so everything expands at the same rate. Works great for most people. However, if you want to put a sustained load on these motors (kind of like a boat motor), the first thing hot rodders do is to weld a "deck plate" onto these engines which ties the top of the cylinders to the block. Google "Honda deck plate" sometimes.

From ERL Performance:

If you're happy with your 470 and willing to make sure you never overheat it, it'll work great for you. Of course, you'll also have the alternator and cam seal problems to worry about but those are pretty easy to remedy although they are not cheap if you have to pay someone to do it for you.

Auto; that was an excellent treatise on the 470 - I learned alot. I never heard that amount of information about the 470 before. Thank you for taking the time to post it.
Cheers;
-br

HOLYSMOKES

Seaman Apprentice

subscribed. I have the 470...just trying to absorb all the info I can, both good and bad

guyaverage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nobody cares who made the motor. The 470 gets knocked because of a very basic design flaw. Mercury wanted etc et cetc.

Very well-written post. Needs to be a sticky.