7.4L mercruise in Sting Ray

corea

Recruit
Oil pressure gauge. Cruising along at 3500 rpm, took a hard right turn 180 degrees and headed straight. An alarm sounded and oil pressure guage was at zero. I shut down immediately. Think I lost pressure or gauge failure? I just bought boat so not familiar with alarms etc.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 7.4L mercruise in Sting Ray

Think I lost pressure or gauge failure?

Howdy,

There is no way for any of us to tell......You will have to put a mechanical gage on it to be sure.

It sure sounds like oil pressure loss since the gage sender and the low oil pressure switch are independent of each other.

regards,

Rick

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the oil level in the engine correct? A hard turn could cause the pick up pipe to become momentarily uncovered if the level was too low.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with Simonz on this one. Probabaly low on oil.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Did you Check the Oil,..??

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if oil is full on dipstick could be your oilpump pick up has come loose and is laying in pan with a chevy the oil pump hole is low to bottom of pan and even without the pickup screen on it , it can still get oil unless something drastic like a hard turn causes it to suck air ... ive had it happen to me twice with a 4 cylinder gm and a 350 gm and with the v8 it ran great and had good pressure until i ran it wot for a few or turned hard