Mercruiser 3.0 engine drain plug

IanDal

Recruit
Hello all, this is my first time posting so pardon me if this topic has been covered before. I own a 99 Campion 525 with a Mercruiser 3.0 I/O. My first year owning I hired the wrong guy to winterize my boat. He broke off the blue plastic plug to drain the block. Don't worry he says I had a steel bolt that fits. It fits but it leaks about a quart an hour. It is also a 1/2 in. fine screw where the original brass fitting was 1/2 in. coarse. What do members think? Should I just get a coarse thread 1/2 in steel bolt and carefully try to rethread the brass fitting by screwing it into the hole? Or should I try to find a tap set that would match it. If so would a tapered tap be best? The blue replacement plug only needs about 4 threads for its depth.
Thanks for any help.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 engine drain plug

Did he put the bolt into the block, or onto another fitting?

IanDal

Recruit

Did he put the bolt into the block, or onto another fitting?

Thanks for replying. There seems to be a brass fitting attached to the block that the blue plastic plug screws into. He screwed the bolt into the brass fitting which is where it leaks when I run it.

Bondo

Staff member

There seems to be a brass fitting attached to the block that the blue plastic plug screws into. He screwed the bolt into the brass fitting which is where it leaks when I run it.

Ayuh,... Replace 'em Both... The Block is tapped 1/4" pipe thread...

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Bondo is right it should be 1/4 npt Just get a 1/4 npt pipe plug preferably brass and if you have to retap it only screw the tap in to a count of 7 threads on the tap and it will seat perfectly the seven threads isstandard on all pipe taps. Good luck

IanDal

Recruit

Thanks to Bond-O, Alpheus and Fat Fanny for their help.
Am ordering the new parts from Mercruiser today.

RadioguyJ

Cadet

If it was the blue plug that broke off inside the threaded part, why not just cut a notch in the plug with a knife and back the plug out with a screwdriver? That's how we fixed my boat years ago when that happened. In fact it just happened to me again on our 37 Formula last night. That's why I was on here searching for this topic. But last night our broke off down low at the oil cooler, so I think I am in trouble on this one.