Torque specs for Mercuiser 470

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Yeah I know "needs a service manual", but it isn't my boat, and the owner doesn't want to drop the green, so here is where I am at:<br /><br />I am putting new piston rings and bearings in a Mercuiser 470 Serial 5293750 (1979). What I am hoping to get is:<br /><br />Connecting rod bolt torque<br />Head bolt torque<br />Ring gap (standard ring size)<br />Intake bolt torque<br />Oil Pan bolt torque<br />Rocker cover bolt torque<br />Main Bearing bolt torque (I took caps off to check main bearings, they were fine)<br />Exhaust elbow bolt torque<br /><br />Any help is appreciated (Thank God I have manuals for my stuff)...

Trent

Captain
Re: Torque specs for Mercuiser 470

Dont do this engine without a Factory Manual!! You do the heads you need the tools. Too many things to screw up on this engine.

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Connecting rod bolt torque - 40 flbs<br />Head bolt torque - 130 flbs<br />Ring gap (standard ring size)<br />Intake bolt torque - 35 flbs<br />Oil Pan bolt torque - 150 ilbs<br />Rocker cover bolt torque - 90 ilbs <br />Main Bearing bolt torque (I took caps off to check main bearings, they were fine) - 55 flbs<br />Exhaust elbow bolt torque - 25 flbs

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Trent, I am not doing anything to the head. Realistically the whole thing should get a proper rebuild, but the owner doesn't want to put too much green into it, its not my call. I am just replacing the offending parts (#2 cylinder w/broken rings and #3 and #4 bad rod bearings). Everything else is fine.<br /><br />Thanx for the info Jolly, do you not have the ring gap spec?

Trent

Captain

Ok just so you know........<br /><br />Ring gap:<br /><br /> Top .010-.020 2nd .010-.020<br /><br />Oil Ring= .010-.025