• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Prop won't spin, hit a rock. HELP

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop won't spin, hit a rock. HELP

Hi everyone,

I posted this under prop questions but didn't get any response, so I figured I'd try here.

Yesterday while on my boat I hit something. A rock, cable, anchor, something.. I lost all power to my prop. The engine was running fine except the prop wouldn't spin. When I would put it into reverse the boat would over heat and stall out. I check to make sure there wasn't anything wrapped around it, but it looked fine. While in neutral the prop spinned freely.

When we got towed back to shore, I took the boat out of the water and put the boat into gear (being shut off of course). I Tried spinning the prop while in gear and it made a weird grinding noise. When I tried spinning the opposite direction that should've been locked it wasn't.

I was told by someone that I'll have to replace the whole lower unit.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The outdrive looks fine. You can see that my SS Prop clipped something because it got grinded a little bit on the blades.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Prop won't spin, hit a rock. HELP

Pull the prop and look the hub. Sounds like you 'spun' it. Cheap to fix if you didn't cause internal damage to the gears. Because the stainless is so strong the gears can be damaged before the prop so the hub will do it's job and be damaged first. It takes all but 5 minutes to pull a prop with a 2x4 and crescent wrench in a pinch. A new hub isn't too expensive. I am not quite getting the overheat in reverse from a spun prop though.
    2003 Chaparral 183SS

Comment

When I put the gear into reverse and tried spinning the prop by hand it was real hard to do. It was barely moving.

Comment

Originally posted by JVCar22 View Post
        Hi everyone,

I posted this under prop questions but didn't get any response, so I figured I'd try here.

Yesterday while on my boat I hit something. A rock, cable, anchor, something.. I lost all power to my prop. The engine was running fine except the prop wouldn't spin. When I would put it into reverse the boat would over heat and stall out. I check to make sure there wasn't anything wrapped around it, but it looked fine. While in neutral the prop spinned freely.

When we got towed back to shore, I took the boat out of the water and put the boat into gear (being shut off of course). I Tried spinning the prop while in gear and it made a weird grinding noise. When I tried spinning the opposite direction that should've been locked it wasn't.

I was told by someone that I'll have to replace the whole lower unit.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The outdrive looks fine. You can see that my SS Prop clipped something because it got grinded a little bit on the blades.

Thanks everyone.
        If the blades aren't bent and just scraped you may have gotten away lucky. Pull the prop. Check the hub. My guess is you will have to replace both. My suggestion would be get an aluminum prop because if it happens again the blades will break off easier than SS and save your OD. Thats the optimistic outlook. The OD very well may be shot but pull the prop first and don't panic.

Comment

Originally posted by JVCar22 View Post
          Hi everyone,

When I would put it into reverse the boat would over heat and stall out.

Thanks everyone.
          Its appears to be more than a spun prop. Did the engine over heat while idling??
          Just owning a boat does not make you a boater!!

" Life is so much better on a boat " SS MAYFLOAT

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do......................nothing" Edmund Burke

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in, and how many want to get out." Prime Minister Tony Blair

Page 2,
          Class of '05

Comment

Originally posted by Limited-Time View Post
            Its appears to be more than a spun prop. Did the engine over heat while idling??
            While idling, no. When I would put it into gear than it would overheat. Coolant started coming out of my reservoir.

Comment

Sounds to me like you need to have the outdrive inspected. A simply spun prop wouldn't cause any of the other symptoms listed.

I suspect by your description you have some lower unit damage, and it won't be apparent unless you have it checked.

Comment

Well we are going to pull the lower unit off tonight. And depending on what we see I might just try to find a rebuilt lower unit for cheap and put it on.

This is most likely in the lower unit though, right?

Comment

Take the cap off the top of the OD. Spider gears stripped? NOT supposed to hear or feel grinding when turning prop. Overheating because impeller shaft not turning? Make sure your coupler is ok also. By what you have said, its inside the OD. Bummer. This is based on you having a Mercrusier OD.
                  1986 Century Riviera 6 Meter 350/260 Alpha 1

Comment

Originally posted by 6meter View Post
                    Take the cap off the top of the OD. Spider gears stripped? NOT supposed to hear or feel grinding when turning prop. Overheating because impeller shaft not turning? Make sure your coupler is ok also. By what you have said, its inside the OD. Bummer. This is based on you having a Mercrusier OD.
                    Ok, I'll try that when I get home tonight.
                    When I put the gear into reverse and try to hand spin the prop in reverse it's really tight and makes a noise behind the prop like it's trying to spin but something is stopping it. And when I spin the prop in the forward direction while still being in reverse gear it spin and kinda clicks a little as it spins.

Comment

Thats normal, when you try to spin it in gear, you're essentially trying to turn the whole motor.
                      1990 Doral Prestancia 300MC
                      twin 4.3/alpha 1
                      Heat, air and 2 fridges full of beer

Comment

What are the details of your engine/drive, boat, year etc?
                        2003 Chaparral 183SS

Comment

Dont' know too many specifics

1987 Searay Seville
                          Mercruiser I/O

Comment

the verticle shaft has splines on and may have sheared off hence when the engine is running the verticle shaft is not spinning which the water pump is connected to.drop lower end and see if splines have been left in gear in upper and report back.shaft that prop sits on may be bent too.remove prop and spin and you may find some results.get yourself a depth sounder as there not as expensive as hitting the bottom.

Comment

Just went down to a marina over here and explained to them as well to see the feedback they had for me. He said it could possibly be the engine coupler. I'm assuming this is a big job that costs $$$$$$$$$$$$

Tonight first thing I'm going to do is start the engine and check to see if the couple is spinning... if it is i'll be happy, than we'll take apart the lower unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X