Battery post melted, boat wont start

waramaug boater

Recruit
Yesterday i was out on the lake, after about 15 mins, the engine stopped running and would not start. I checked the battery and the negative post melted down and the cable was extremely hot (the wire was almost red hot). After that, it would just not start. Can anyone help? why did the post melt down? <br /><br />I have an OMC Cobra 4.3l, 175 HP.<br /><br />Thanks!

ed hobbs

Seaman
Re: Battery post melted, boat wont start

It was probably hot from your continuous effort to restart it. Did the engine turn, or did the starter just click?

waramaug boater

Recruit

engine turned, it even started but as soon as i put it in gear it would die.

Bondo

Staff member

The battery terminal Melted because it was Dirty...... Too much resistence causes Excessive heat.....<br /><br />I don't think this is Why the motor Quit, But was a contributing factor to your problems.......

ranger14

Cadet

It was probably hot from your continuous effort to restart it. Did the engine turn, or did the starter just click?

I have the same issue, I tried to start the motor too many times and the battery red wire melted at the terminal.

Before that the fuse near the ignition blew when I tried starting...I replaced it and tried starting, the engine cranks good and at times appears to be turning for few seconds but never catches up. It felt like it was turning as long as I keep the starter going. So i left the starter on for too long and burnt the wire.

I am going to replace it today with a new wire and clean the battery...its brand new and clean but i will do again. Do you think I should be able to start. Or is there anything else I should be looking at.

Thank you

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When was your boat's last full tune-up, and what was done?