'87 SeaSwirl Tempo-Tilt/Trim Problems

littletoes

Cadet
OK guys, here I am, dirrected here from a tractor forum.

Like the heading says, I have a 4.3 L V6 OMC with tilt/trim problems.

What I think I've found is the tilt/trim motor is bad. It has a three prong outlet from this little motor, with the black wire being the ground, and two other wires, each coming from a solenoid, one for "up", and the other for "down".

I "jumped" the ground wire to the negative on the battery, and then jumped each of the other prongs (first one than the other) to the positive end of the battery.....Nothing.

I'm thinking this means the little drive motor for the tilt/trim is fried. It didn't make any noise, nor attempt to move. I didn't think of hitting the body of the motor with a tester to see if it went to ground from a possible burnt winding, don't know.

Does this sound right to you guys? Or am I testing the motor the wrong way???

Any help is appreciated, thank you Gentlemen!

littletoes

Cadet
Re: '87 SeaSwirl Tempo-Tilt/Trim Problems

Worked on it a while today....learned some things.

The tilt/trim motor WAS seized up, but I took it out, used a wrench and broke it loose. The more I turned it, the "easier" it got. It now works.

Both the solenoids worked when jumpered by "hand" on the control side. They both pulled in.

Then when hooked back up to the boats existing wiring, "as-was", I learned something else....somebody had screwed with the wiring! Nothing worked! No power at the switch....

Now, a friend gave me an idea, the tilt trim switch HAS to work in conjunction with the forward/reverse/acceleration lever.

This true guys??? Or do I just have to run a hot wire from the ignition to the tilt/trim switch and have it work???

Any help out there that has been through this?

littletoes

Cadet

Nobody have these problems, or have any idea what I'm talking about???

littletoes

Cadet

Tilt/Trim is now working!

Broke the motor loose (frozen from sitting all year!), rewired the switch at the front of the boat, repaired the dead-short in the wiring harness connector, re-filled the oil in the reservoir as I bled the air out.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!