3.0LX - ran motor without alternator belt. Symptoms show a-ok?

Brando86

Cadet
Well I have another thread about my nonexistant power steering that suddenly went away when I started the my 3.0 merc up last sunday. I ran on and off a bit that day, but really sat and swam 90% of the day...my temp guage did show warmer than usual, around 180-190 degrees, but it usually sits between 150 and 170 degrees. I just noticed that my alternator belt snapped (should have noticed by looking at my volt guage) while trying to fix my steering issue, which was obviously caused by the power steering pump not being turned. I replaced both belts this evening, and hooked up my hose to the boat and everything ran great. The water pumps seem to be working fine as there is water going in, circulating, and coming out. My temp guage never shot higher than ~ 150 degrees while running at a varying RPM for 10 minutes or so. I varied from neutral, to forward gear as well.

Sound like I dodged a bullet, or should I check something else?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.0LX - ran motor without alternator belt. Symptoms show a-ok?

Howdy,

You probably did not hurt anything at all.

Sometimes the raw water pump in the drive will move enough water through the engine to prevent severe overheats...

I don't want to beat you up too badly but you should be looking in there EVERY TIME you run the boat.

You should do things like checking the oil, and looking the engine over for fuel, oil and water leaks, and belt condition EVERY TIME YOU RUN THE ENGINE!!

cheers,

Rick

Brando86

Cadet

Thank you for the fast reply. I will take that advice and apply it from now on!:D

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

I don't want to beat you up either as I am the worst but .... shouldn't run the boat on muffs and put it in gear.... prop safety issue. With the overheat, you should be good to go.

Brando86

Cadet

I dont mind getting advice from people with experience. This is my first i/o so I am pretty new to this game. I've previously owned jet boats.