Left the fuel filler cap off and assume I have water in gas

jofa390

Recruit
I left the fuel filler cap off on my 2000 Stingray. It has the 4.3 Merc 190 HP. I took the boat on a cruise and we have received some rain. I assume based on the location of the fuel filler that when I slowed down from plane that water got into the fuel when the water comes up over the swim platform.

Could this cause engine problems and is there an easy way to protect the engine? Would Dry gas help??

Thank you

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Left the fuel filler cap off and assume I have water in gas

Howdy,

Would Dry gas help??
No. There's really no "mechanic in a bottle" that will remove water that may be in the tank.

You must expose the top of the tank, remove the fuel level sender and suck out all the fuel, water and debris.

The easiest way to do that will be to jack the bow up and use a piece of clear 3/4" (thick-wall) clear vinyl hose and a few gas containers.

Start a siphon with the vinyl hose and use the hose to "vacuum" out all the liquid in the tank. (you'll get the water and debris too)

Have a helper swap tanks when they fill.

Do it outside and have a fire extinguisher handy!!!

You can put a piece of plastic pipe on each end of the hose and use a simple PVC ball-valve so the helper can shut it off when switching from a full container to an empty one.

Move the end around in the tank to get in the corners to get everything etc.....(NO SMOKING!!;))

Regards,

Rick

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Don't assume. You will feel it when running the boat. It will start to bog down, skip, cut out and generally run like crap. THEN you need to drain the gas. If it runs fine, not enough water got in to worry about.

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it's only a small amount of water, you may get by with an additive called "Heat". It's actually methanol and breaks up the water so it can pass through. I use this stuff in my vette which is supercharged and I inject the meth for cooling.

"Heat" comes in a yellow bottle at any auto parts/wally mart.