05 Sea Ray 270 Sundeck, complete electric console failure

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class
newly purchased used boat.
put 2 fresh marine batteries in.

at dock, idling motor, all instruments within normal operating parameters.

while standing there at console, motor just stops running, and entire console is power dead.

even when turning key to 'on' position; console indicator does not light up.

on console breaker panel, hitting the test lamp, which usually tests all fuses and lights up each, is dead.

no power on console at all except the outdrive trim on the binacle still works.

Where should i look first. I"m dumbfounded.

thanks

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 05 Sea Ray 270 Sundeck, complete electric console failure

2 places to look.

1rst, there typically is an engine mounted circuit breaker that provides power to the console and ignition circuits.

2nd, on some there is a starter mounted fuse. When you blow that fuse everything goes dead.

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for your reply jason.

i ran down your suggestions with these results:

1. checked the 50 amp breaker mounted on the engine. it was not blown.

noting that the motor was idling fine, when it suddenly turned off, and with it all console electronics. theres no poweron the console at all.

I"m thinking to myself, what part of the ciruitry when it fails, would kill the motor and the console at the same time.

quite literally, i was standing at the helm, at idle when it all went dead.

This is quite the brain teaser for me.

I am noticing that the binacle outdrive still works though. (but then it has its own harness back to the motor and doesnt use the console electronics.

i did check three fuses on the port side above the batteries (bilge, radio memory, and accessory) all ok.

any further thoughts on that?

thanks

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the primary ground wires. If they came off, broke or are corroded could have caused a disconect.

It sucks but trace all the wires, starting at the battery, you never know where someone may have installed a fuse. Also if you have a battery switch check that. It is rare but they do break.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Start with the last thing you replaced or repaired,
I believe you said batteries.
Inspect your cables/connections are they clean and tight??

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks everyone, heres the thing though...

the outdrive goes up/down fine. That tells me that the battery and grounds are good. no? regardless the connections are perfectly clean on the batteries.

and i got to thinking, the motor was running fine at idle, and the motor died along with the loss of console power. no key switch light, no instrument power at all. a look at the fuse box and the fuse-check-button shows no power to the console at all. the 50 amp breaker on the motor was not popped either.

when power to the console dropped, then im imagining that the ignition system also lost power and consequently stopped.

i had an assistant watch the console while i leaned in and wiggled (as best i could) the positive cable as it connects to the starter, as well as the ground to the motor block. nuttin.

If i get down in there i'll get a better view so i'll check again tomorrow morning.

meanwhile, what is stumping me thought wise is the question, what fault would cause the console to drop all power, and kill the motor simultaneously.

its one thing to have the motor off and debug to find out why it clicks or doesnt click, but while idleing and dieing to total loss of console power completely without blowing the 50 amp fuse, yet the outdrive works fine has got me scratching my head.

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you checked to make sure all connections are good by where u turn the key behind/under the console dash???

JustJason

Vice Admiral

have you hit test and reset on the breaker? Have you verified power going into, and out of the breaker yet with a multimeter?

The flow of power goes something like this...

Battery to starter motor fuse, starter motor fuse to starter motor, starter motor lug to circuit breaker, circuit breaker to ignition related circuits at the helm...

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

thanks everyone, heres the thing though...

the outdrive goes up/down fine. That tells me that the battery and grounds are good. no? regardless the connections are perfectly clean on the batteries.

and i got to thinking, the motor was running fine at idle, and the motor died along with the loss of console power. no key switch light, no instrument power at all. a look at the fuse box and the fuse-check-button shows no power to the console at all. the 50 amp breaker on the motor was not popped either.

when power to the console dropped, then im imagining that the ignition system also lost power and consequently stopped.

i had an assistant watch the console while i leaned in and wiggled (as best i could) the positive cable as it connects to the starter, as well as the ground to the motor block. nuttin.

If i get down in there i'll get a better view so i'll check again tomorrow morning.

meanwhile, what is stumping me thought wise is the question, what fault would cause the console to drop all power, and kill the motor simultaneously.

its one thing to have the motor off and debug to find out why it clicks or doesnt click, but while idleing and dieing to total loss of console power completely without blowing the 50 amp fuse, yet the outdrive works fine has got me scratching my head.

Check the switch itself. Make sure the wire didn't drop off or that the connection is loose. That would do it.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also, did you pull the 50 fuse and then reinstall? Try that as well.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you check the starter mounted fuse as Jason mentioned? It really doesn't look like a fuse but when it goes, you don't even have power to the 50A circuit breaker on the engine.
It mounts on the big terminal on the starter solenoid and looks like this.
attachment.php

PS. You can't tell if it's blown by looking at it, you need a meter to test.

Attachments

• Square Merc Fuse.png
    Square Merc Fuse.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 0

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for you suggestions.

the 50 amp breaker is just a red-button that would pop out if it's triggered. theres no real test on it. However, as soon as i find my multitester, ill check it for voltage at that point.

i did check the switch and all the instruments for loose connectors. thing is, even if the switch wire came loose, that doesnt explain why the power to the console is dead.

Jason, ima def check the power route in the morning.

and for sure, ill keep y'all posted on the outcome.

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks donS, ill put a continuity tester on it first thing in the morning.

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your help guys.

The Fuse on the starter was the culprit.

I'm heading out to get another and reassemble now.

woot! It feels good to be moving forward, but holy moly u gotta be a contortionist to get down there...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Just make sure you disconnect your battery before you go pulling it off.

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep. I set the battery switch to off before i took it off.