• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

why is my 1-wire alternator setup not charging?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is my 1-wire alternator setup not charging?

i'll try to explain this the best i can... if more info is needed let me know

i have a 72 winner wildcat with a 307 small block chev... i believe it originally had the 160 i4...

after 1 battery went dead,,, i decided to look into it a little more... (pulling a cable off the battery when running kills the motor)

i had the old alt tested & was told it failed... i bought a new alt for a small block & installed it,,, ran the motor & tested the voltage with a meter & its the same as the battery voltage when not running...

the old alt had an internal regulator but nothing was connected to it... the new alt is the same & i installed it the exact same way as the old one...

i looked for an external regulator under the dash & in the engine compartment & found nothing... as far as i can tell,,, the bat wire from the alt runs to the dash ammeter & then runs from the meter back to the battery post on the starter solenoid...

so what gives??? i tried testing the bat wire right off the alt while it was running & its still the same voltage as the battery when not running...

i've looked for info on the web about 1 wire alt setups & theres something about "exciting the regulator to induce a charge"... what does that mean???

i either toasted or bought a junk new alt or the boat is wired wrong...

i'm at a loss,,, any suggestions???

Re: why is my 1-wire alternator setup not charging?

do i need a "self exciting regulator" & run a jumper wire from the bat terminal to the #2 terminal as shown here???

http://mightymo.org/Proj_OneWire.html#How%20it%20works

Comment

If you pull the cable off the battery with the new alt, does it kill the engine?

Edit

sorry if I understand the way its hooked up it will kill the engine when you disconnect it because your breaking the connection to the engine.

Hook the wire from the altinator to the starter and then disconect the battery. If it stays running the Alt is good.

As for the voltage reading, check it from the wire at the altinator. It will loose voltage as it runs through every thing.
      1987 Four Winns 215 Sundowner...
      She may be old...but she's got it were it counts!

My refit/re-power project
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....13#post2466813

3.7L rebuild: the thread
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....13#post2578113

3.7L/470 altinator set up for about $100 with little modification needed and simple tooles.
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....=1#post2892577

Comment

Stop disconnecting the battery with the engine running!

If you disconnect the battery while running your engine you will kill your alternator in a heartbeat. If you have already done that trick with your new alternator, you killed that one too.
        1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
        Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
        Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
        "Common sense is not very common"
        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

......you do realize that most one-wire alternators require an engine speed of approximately 1,000 r.p.m.s for the alternator to 'self-excite'. Afterwards, as the engine returns to idle, the alternator will continue to....well, alternate.
          Eddie Petty. #3 Dirt Modified
          Courtland, Virginia
          V-20 Wellcraft
          3.7 470 Mercruiser

Stumpnocker
          25 Yamaha, 25 Johnson, 25 Evinrude, 9.9 Evinrude, 4 Johnson, 2.5 Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by EddiePetty View Post
            ......you do realize that most one-wire alternators require an engine speed of approximately 1,000 r.p.m.s for the alternator to 'self-excite'. Afterwards, as the engine returns to idle, the alternator will continue to....well, alternate.
            Beat me to it.
            1988 Barretta Success with a 3.7
            Seems like it is out of the water more than it is in.

Comment

i had the old alt tested again,,, failed... i had the new alt tested,,, good... but was told the bearing is close to shot (made alot of noise on the machine)

yes i know it needs 1000+ rpms,,, but what i dont get is we tested it at about 2000rpms & it was still the same voltage as the battery when the motor was off...

is it because the new alternator doesnt have the self exciting regulator??? or possibly a bad ground on the alternator???

i think i'm going to get the old alt rebuilt & go from there...

Comment

deleted...misunderstood previous post.

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

edit

nevermind

ugh,,, it's been a bad week for me in the boating world...

1st the motor on the mini blew (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=402662) and now this...

Comment

When you have it back together, read the voltage on the Orange wire with the motor off.It should be the battery voltage.Is there by chance a square plastic looking block at the starter ?
                    NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

Originally posted by Bt Doctur View Post
                      When you have it back together, read the voltage on the Orange wire with the motor off.It should be the battery voltage.Is there by chance a square plastic looking block at the starter ?
                      by orange wire,,, do you mean the wire thats off the alts bat terminal???

theres nothing at the starter except the starter itself & the solenoid...

i'll be bringing the old alternator in to a repair shop later this afternoon & hopefully he can steer me in the right direction so it will charge at a decent rpm...

i basically only use this boat for wakeboarding (2600-2800rpm),,, and slow cruising around the lake (1000-2000rpm)... anything above 3000rpms really eats the gas...

Comment

In most application the wire from the alternator is orange and it runs to the starter terminal directly. The batter cable also runs to the starter and that is how the power gets from the alternator to the battery, instead of how yours is hooked up, from alternator to battery then battery to starter.

So if you check the voltage from the location on the starter where those two wires meet, you should read 12 VDC, witch is what the battery is putting out when the motor is off. When you start the motor and bring it up to 1500rpm you should read 13-15 VDC at the same location.
                        1987 Four Winns 215 Sundowner...
                        She may be old...but she's got it were it counts!

My refit/re-power project
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....13#post2466813

3.7L rebuild: the thread
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....13#post2578113

3.7L/470 altinator set up for about $100 with little modification needed and simple tooles.
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....=1#post2892577

Comment

mine is wired from the alternator to an ammeter & then back to the starter... but yea,,, i poked it at a bunch of different locations (directly off the alt, at the ammeter,,, at the starter etc) & it all read the same at different speeds...

i brought it to an alternator/starter repair shop & the guy told me it'd need to hit at least 3000rpms to start charging (again,,, which the boat is rarely run at,,, it uses WAY too much gas,,, unless a storm is coming & i need to get back to shore quickly lol)

but he said since its a 42amp,,, he could get it to start charging at around 850rpms...

Comment

If I were you I would ditch the ammeter and just run the wire directly to the starter solenoid. That way you don't have to run all the way to the dash and back. Replace the ammeter with a voltmeter.

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

GM 1 wires "excite" at about 1000 rpm , once excited they will remain charging untill it stops spinning.
                              NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

Working...
                              X