how to check for bad impeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmanion

Cadet
99 mercruiser 3.0 woundering how you can tell or check to see if the impeller is bad. Thanks

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how to check for bad impeller

I suspect the answers you will get is if you haven't replaced it in 2 years, its bad, replace it.

If you are running hot, its bad replace it.

cmanion

Cadet

i just bought the boat so i am not sure if it has been replaced or not but engine is not running hot. i have just been seeing alot of post talking about them thought i might want to check to see if mine is working. How hard are they to change and how expensive are they?

Brewman61

Ensign

They're not terribly expensive, a relative bargain compared to the expense that ignoring them will cause.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You pull it off, install a new one and consider it checked. An impeller isn't something to inspect. Change it yearly and have no worries.

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no way to inspec the impeller without removing it. A bad impeller will have pieces missing. Like others have said, if you are unsure how old it is, it is a good idea to replace it. The problem is that an old impeller might look ok, but can go bad soon after.

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just spent $700 and 12 hours of work on my overheating issue, to eventually find out that my NJEW impeller was the cause of a flow which was too low to sufficiently cool my engine. The Sierra brand impeller was defective, and I'm currently in the process of sending it back to Sierra for a warranty claim.
I think I will change my impellers EVERY YEAR now, instead of every 2 years, like I have been.

sethjon

They are cheap. If you are a decent wrench you can do it yourself in a couple of hours.

Dakota47

it only takes me 15 minutes on my Cobra :D

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

At risk of beating the horse, I would definitely go ahead and replace it. I would say keep the old one as an emergency spare if it still looked good, but apparently an "on-the-water" swap is not possible with your merc (based on above post).

My VP impeller is right at the front of the motor...16 screws gets the bench seat loose, and another four gets me into the impeller housing.

My old one will at least get me to shore in a pinch.

Better yet, sell your old one on eBay as "slightly used"...some poor sap who doesn't frequent iBoats will buy it...

I'm kidding, of course.

cmanion

Cadet

Thanks for all the input I am going to order my replacement tom. and put it in I would much rather be safe than sorry. Thanks again, Chris

fulago

Recruit
i have a sterndrive 800, i have to replace the impeller too, do anyone know where it is located.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
jbcurt00

Welcome. You're in the wrong forum in a 10 year old thread, which is frowned on. Start a new thread in the OMC forums...
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Status
Not open for further replies.