1973 140 mercruiser fuel or ignition

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This boat will idle fine and will accelerate fine if you punch the throttle handle down. around 800 the motor will die if trying to accelerate slow and only on slow not if you punch it. What is it fuel or ignition. thank you for your replies <br /> nickster

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1973 140 mercruiser fuel or ignition

A guess, accelerator pump in the carb. if you have a carb.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

most carbs have transition circuit to get you from idle to high speed circuits. if transition is plugged it will often do as you describe-stumble or stall with slow throttle advance. rapid throttle advance, the accelerater pump gets you past this problem. i have had some success with spray carb cleaner shot directly into these fuel slots in carb throat just above closed throttle butterfly. or a rebuild.

PvrDel1

Recruit

Hey i am not sure if this is the best linke for this but my father in-law has a MerCruiser 1973 140hp 120/140/165 and he has offer it to me the outside its perfect but it needs work the steering it's frozen and the last time was run was in 1986 and at the time water got into the engine and has not been touch since i have never own a boat but i would like some advice if i am getting too deep over my head or this is a great project to do the electrical needs work i'll have to get new gear and very thing that come with it, i'll have to redo all the interior wich that is fine because it's just fiberglass, i also need to get a new gas tank so what site can i go to see prices on the things i need to get started.

Thank you