parts for OMC Stringer 800... OMC, GLM, SIERRA ???

ekmanspiral

Cadet
I'm replacing the bearings and shafts (upper vertical and water pump) in the upper gearcase due to water damage. I'm new to OMC and don't know the options available to me. I've been looking for the above parts and there seems to be quite a large price discrepancy between OEM and aftermarket parts. I spoke to a local OMC mechanic who will be putting it together, and he said that the with the exception of the gear sets (which are in good shape) the shafts and bearings should be OK to be aftermarket. So my questions are:

1. Should I go with OMC or aftermarket shafts and bearings? (OMC almost twice the price)

1. What companies make aftermarket OMC bearings and shafts?

2. Where is a good place to buy them?

thanks,
Neil

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: parts for OMC Stringer 800... OMC, GLM, SIERRA ???

I went aftermarket on the two shafts on mine. I got them from T. C. Electtonics/Marine. They are in Canada. I live in Ohio and it was still the best price. Got people to talk to also.

studdy05

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: parts for OMC Stringer 800... OMC, GLM, SIERRA ???

All of those bearings - Timkin will cross reference. Get them at like Oreillys. They are all standard and found in vehicles from the 70s. Save you a bundle. That OMC name means nothing when they outsourced it themselves.