• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

470 MCM Mercruiser fuel pump?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 470 MCM Mercruiser fuel pump?

Took the boat out on Saturday and it would stall during both acceleration and deceleration it would also idle rough and die when trolling. Then it would work fine for 10 minutes. When I got home I checked the fuel filter and it was dry. I'm thinking I need a new fuel pump?
    My next question is how difficult is it to replace the manual fuel pump with an electric?
    I heard that the happiest 2 days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it, glad to say that doesn't apply to me!

My 1980 Silverline Nantucket 17VBR

Re: 470 MCM Mercruiser fuel pump?

Ayuh,... I'd sooner think you have a restriction, Upstream from there....
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

You thinking in the fuel tank? I'll check that, but shouldn't there have been fuel in the filter? It shouldn't be draining back past the pump? The return line is on the other side of the carb.
      I heard that the happiest 2 days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it, glad to say that doesn't apply to me!

Comment

Originally posted by IceWater View Post
        You thinking in the fuel tank? I'll check that, but shouldn't there have been fuel in the filter? It shouldn't be draining back past the pump? The return line is on the other side of the carb.
        Okay, ICEWATER......I'll bite. What kinda carb'ed 3.7 has "The return line on the other side"?

If you would disconnect the flexible fuel line on the suction side of the mechanical and splice in a temporary fuel supply, you could isolate your problem to correct side of the pump.

I gotta agree with the 'ol BondO.
        Eddie Petty. #3 Dirt Modified
        Courtland, Virginia
        V-20 Wellcraft
        3.7 470 Mercruiser

Stumpnocker
        25 Yamaha, 25 Johnson, 25 Evinrude, 9.9 Evinrude, 4 Johnson, 2.5 Johnson

Comment

On top of that... the mechanical fuel pump is not hard to change and not that expensive.. I got a new sierra marine replacement on ebay for about $70.00. For my 470. I would just stick with the mechanical.

Comment

When I look at me carn there is a metal line from the fuel pump to the carb which unbolts to reveal the fuel filter. Directly across from the fuel filter there is a flexible rubber hose that goes back to the fuel filter. Is that rubber hose not a return line? Perhaps I'm confusing the fuel return system on my C15 CAT with a gasoline system?

Comment

No not a return line, its there in case of pump diaphram failure to direct fuel to dump into carb, not the bilge
              You meet the nicest people at the American Legion.
              "maintenance is always cheaper than neglect"
              "certain parts are USCG approved for a REASON"
              "just because it's in the factory service manual, doesn't mean it's correct"

Comment

Ok, that makes sense. I thought it was a return line because I have only seen a second line used as a return line.

I'll run the fuel pump tests next time home Ande take it from there. If I do go with a new fuel pump I'll probably just stick with a manual' but I will add a water separater.

Comment

When I look at me carn there is a metal line from the fuel pump to the carb which unbolts to reveal the fuel filter.
                  IceWater.....you ARE aware that there is another fuel filter inside that little metal can on top of your fuel pump...aren't ya'?
                  Eddie Petty. #3 Dirt Modified
                  Courtland, Virginia
                  V-20 Wellcraft
                  3.7 470 Mercruiser

Stumpnocker
                  25 Yamaha, 25 Johnson, 25 Evinrude, 9.9 Evinrude, 4 Johnson, 2.5 Johnson

Comment

depends on the exact fuel pump used .Some AC type didnt have it.
                    http://www.*****************/parts/si...ercruiser.html
                    this type does
                    Attached Files
                    NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

Eddie Petty,

I didn't check the filter on the pump, regardless, my original question was whether or not there should be fuel in the filter in the carb? I don't know much about boats at all, that's why I ask. I know a lot about trucks and a lot about 1960's Fords , but boats are very different.
                      No one has answered whether or not there should have durl in the carb filter? I think there should; a boat isn't that different than a 1967 Cougar.

Comment

There was a TSB saying to remove the carb filter because of restriction.With a filter on the pump and/or a fuel/water sep filter ,it`s all you need.
                        NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

Please excuse the spelling, I'm using my BlackBerry and it has a mind of it's own. Durl should be fuel and carn should be carb.

Comment

Eddie Petty,

I didn't check the filter on the pump, regardless, my original question was whether or not there should be fuel in the filter in the carb?.
                            Yes, there should be fuel in the filter. And in the carb. The answers were that there are other things to check before assuming that the pump is the problem.
                            '86 Glastron Conroy X-19, Merc 170
                            '04 Carolina Skiff J14, 25 hp Mercury
                            sigpic

Comment

But, isn't the lack of fuel in the carb filter a sign that the fuel is leaking back past the fuel pump? Where else can it go? No signs of leaking.
                              The most common answer on replacing the manual pump with an electric - provided the fuel pump needs replacing - is to just replace it with a manual' so that's what I'll do.

Comment

Working...
                              X