Should I fill my new fuel filter/separator with fuel when installing?

Philster

Captain
My instincts tell me to carefully remove the old filter and be ready for some drips. Then, when installing the new one, I plan on using a fresh/thin coat of oil on the rubber seal, and my instincts tell me that I'd be better off adding fuel to the new filter before screwing it on (by hand).

Then I went to buy a filter/separator on line and, whatya know, I stumble upon the Racor brand (not that I am buying that one) and a quick 'how to' video and...

...they did everything but fill it with fuel.

Seems to me the best way to help the system come up to prime/pressure is to fill it.

What says the iboats gurus?

(Going on a 1996 Merc 502 Magnum EFI/MultiPort)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Should I fill my new fuel filter/separator with fuel when installing?

I always fill filters, except the poxy oil filter on my engine... Some silly w...er designed the system and put the damn thing upside down. Bloody idiot engineers!!! :mad::mad::mad:

It puts less stress on the filter material, it's not suddenly hit with 'high' pressure before the material has had a chance to get wet and absorb the liquid.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

My instincts tell me to carefully remove the old filter and be ready for some drips. Then, when installing the new one, I plan on using a fresh/thin coat of oil on the rubber seal, and my instincts tell me that I'd be better off adding fuel to the new filter before screwing it on (by hand).

Then I went to buy a filter/separator on line and, whatya know, I stumble upon the Racor brand (not that I am buying that one) and a quick 'how to' video and...

...they did everything but fill it with fuel.

Seems to me the best way to help the system come up to prime/pressure is to fill it.

What says the iboats gurus?

(Going on a 1996 Merc 502 Magnum EFI/MultiPort)
No, because it doesn't really doen't matter & has the potential for spilled fuel.........;)

Philster

Captain

Interesting. Well, so far, following iboats advice has always helped, so no reason to stop now. :)

zbnutcase

Commander

Fuel filters I never prefill, oil filters usually, unless its one of those bloody idiot engineered models.

sasto

Captain

I only fill the filter if the motor is injected, as in diesel.

Brewman61

Ensign

I pre fill the water separating fuel filter in my Merc 4.3L MPI because the service guy at my marina recommends it.
I guess it sorta makes sense- fuel will flow that much sooner since it's already filled.
I've also done it plenty of times without pre filling, and didn't have any problems starting the engine.
I suspect it's in the much ado about nothing category. If the filters suffered from shock or other damage from not being pre filled, then I'd imaging it'd be SOP to do that, but I don't ever recall being told to do that in a service manual. And I"ve watched many oil changes and have never seen the service techs pre fill, either.
It's probably one of those six of one, half dozen of another issues that like to debate.

Dryon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seems to me it's a waste of time since the carb bowl should have plenty to run on while the fuel delivery system refills.

45Auto

Commander

Seems to me it's a waste of time since the carb bowl should have plenty to run on while the fuel delivery system refills.

What if it doesn't have a carb, like the original poster's fuel injected motor?

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have never filled it and never had a problem. The oil on the gasket is a good idea though.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

I always fill oil filters and fuel filters before installing new ones. With the fuel filters, I do not like to crank the engine for several minutes to give the fuel filter time to fill up. Its whatever floats your boat though.

Dryon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What if it doesn't have a carb, like the original poster's fuel injected motor?

Thanks for pointing this out.....I meant to state that for those who have a carb & who read this post should consider there are different types of fuel delivery (Fuel injected & Carb) and each one should be thought of differently.