Alternator Belt Replacement Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello fellow boaters: The weather is looking good for the weekend and my alternator belt is shot. I'm looking for a procedure to replace the belt on my 1987 mercrusier 3.0L, 4 cylinder 130 HP engine. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alternator Belt Replacement Procedure

30LBeltreplace.png

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Don: Many thanks!! I know I can do this myself. To avoid asking these types of question in the future is there an engine maintenance manual available on-line?

Bob

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to post a follow-up. When I saw that I needed to remove the front motor mount and support and jack the engine to change the alternator belt and for the sake of getting it done on time, I had my local auto mechanic shop do the work, He only charged for 3/4 hr labour ($48) and I bought the 40" belt @ NAPA for $21 all this on a Friday afternoon.

There's just no way the local boat repair shop can compete with that level of service. It would have taken a week to get an appointment and they would have charged a minimum of 4 hrs labour @ $75/hr. Lots of these :) on the boat today!

Don S

When I saw that I needed to remove the front motor mount and support and jack the engine to change the alternator belt and for the sake of getting it done on time,

And just where in the instructions did you see that you had to do all that ?????

I had my local auto mechanic shop do the work

If he loosened all the bolts of the front mount, and had to support the engine. I sure hope he had enough sense to pull the outdrive and check the engine alignment when he was done, and put new gaskets and seals between the drive and bellhousing. Otherwise, expect to pull the engine to replace the coupler soon.

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the newb question here but with respect to step 2 in this procedure where are the 2 port side front engine mount bracket assembly screws and washers? Are they in the drawing posted here by Don?

Don S

This thread is from 2 years ago ????????

I think if you read step 3, it might give you a clue to where the bolts are.

Status
Not open for further replies.