OMC alternator replacement

jmarine225

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello I have a 1993 Four Winns Vista 245 with a Ford/OMC engine. I believe my alternator is shot since I'm only getting about 10 volts out of it while the engine is running and the batteries are dying easily. The batteries have been replaced last year. Even if I open up the throttle I may get 11 volts on the dash gauge tops, but thats it. I'm assuming the alternator needs to be replaced now since it's still the original. Anyone have any idea what the alternator model is? It's a 5.8L engine. Thanks.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC alternator replacement

Hello I have a 1993 Four Winns Vista 245 with a Ford/OMC engine. I believe my alternator is shot since I'm only getting about 10 volts out of it while the engine is running and the batteries are dying easily. The batteries have been replaced last year. Even if I open up the throttle I may get 11 volts on the dash gauge tops, but thats it. I'm assuming the alternator needs to be replaced now since it's still the original. Anyone have any idea what the alternator model is? It's a 5.8L engine. Thanks.

Does this have an internal regulator on the alternator?

jmarine225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have no idea if it has the internal regulator. I was at the boat the past weekend and forgot to look at it to get the model number. I only know it is a three wire.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no idea if it has the internal regulator. I was at the boat the past weekend and forgot to look at it to get the model number. I only know it is a three wire.

I could be wrong but I Think I remember Ford had an external regulator. If there is one, You may want to check this first to verify it is operating correctly.

jmarine225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

not sure about that external regulator. Was just talking to someone though. Is it possible to buy an automotive alternator and screw those screens into it which would save alot of money?

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not sure about that external regulator. Was just talking to someone though. Is it possible to buy an automotive alternator and screw those screens into it which would save alot of money?

Don't think so, but why not just rebuild this one? If I remember correctly Ford alternator has brushes and armature only.

jmarine225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That link to the pics is a good help though I don't remember it. I'll pull it out of the boat and take a look. If it helps any I know there is an orange wire running to it. Hope that helps.

jmarine225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok thanks. Any idea how much to rebuild it? A rough guess. Then I have to see if anyone even does that where I live.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I could be wrong but I Think I remember Ford had an external regulator. If there is one, You may want to check this first to verify it is operating correctly.
Just for info purposes, the brand of alternator on an engine has ZERO to do with the brand of the engine. OMC, Mercruiser and Volvo pick the alternators themselves to be what is installed on their power packages.

jmarine225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

New update on the old alternator. I stopped at the boat today to look at it and man is it crammed in there. I found a label on the alternator which was partially worn off. Here is what I was able to get:

12V 51amp Model 8em20

Also the brand name was on it but worn off. The name ended in "lite". The cost of rebuilding one here is nearly the same as purchasing so I'm just goin to buy a new one. Hope this info helps in selecting the prope alternator. It is a 5.8L and appears to only have 3 wires but its hard to see without removing it.

jmarine225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

anyone with any suggestions as to the alternator i would need?