Broken Lower Unit Bolt - Smooth Move..

bumrunner

Seaman
I was taking off the lower unit so I could check the condition of the impeller and "SNAP" - The head of one of the bolts sheared right off. It looks like they used locktite when putting these bolts in as it took all my weight to budge them. Now that I've completely messed up, what do I do?

Attachments

• Broken Lower Unit Bolt.JPG
    Broken Lower Unit Bolt.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Broken Lower Unit Bolt - Smooth Move..

What are you working on? And which bolt / stud broke?

bumrunner

Seaman

These were the 4 main bolts that hold the lower unit to the rest of the motor. I'm guessing 5/16 bolts. Once these bolts are off, I should be able to pull the lower unit down and get to the impeller.

Bondo

Staff member

These were the 4 main bolts that hold the lower unit to the rest of the motor. I'm guessing 5/16 bolts. Once these bolts are off, I should be able to pull the lower unit down and get to the impeller.

Ayuh,.... Hard to say,.... WHAT are you workin' on,..??

bumrunner

Seaman

Sorry all, it's a 9.9 Bigfoot Mercury outboard year 2000. I believe the lower unit is larger than regular 9.9's producing more torque

bumrunner

Seaman

Sorry guys, its a 2000 Mercury Bigfoot 9.9 - I think it has a larger lower unit to produce more torque than a standard 9.9.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Thats not locktite, thats corrosion. put a bunch of propane torch heat to 1 at a time and should be able to remove, use a 6 point socket, better fit than a 12 point.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

does the bolt thread into the middle section of the lower unit?

I'd say drill into it for an EZ out, but heat the **** out of it before trying to turn it! If it snapped the bolt head off it snap the EZ out if you dont heat it!!!!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Sorry guys, its a 2000 Mercury Bigfoot 9.9 - I think it has a larger lower unit to produce more torque than a standard 9.9.

You're in the wrong forum. You might want to post the same in the Mercury outboard forum.