3.7 leaking antifreeze and water into bilge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Ok, She runs like a champ, theres just one thing im concerned with, she seems to go through quite a bit of antifreeze, about a gallon every few hours. Whats happening is a mixture of antifreeze and water are entering the bilge area. This only happens, of course, when the motors running. Where could this mixture be coming from?:cool:

Re: 3.7 leaking antifreeze and water into bilge.

Many locations, thats your job to tell us and we can help you fix it.

Gonna have to get in there and look. If you find the location where it is comming from and don't know the name of the parts, take a picture and post it.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

While the engine is running, take a look at the lower starboard side of the water pump on the front of the engine. There is a little weep hole there. Is coolant leaking from there? You may have to take the engine cover off to see it.

ericcarr2000

Ensign

While the engine is running, take a look at the lower starboard side of the water pump on the front of the engine. There is a little weep hole there. Is coolant leaking from there? You may have to take the engine cover off to see it.

i do know its NOT coming from this weep hole. That only happens when the engine over heats and blows the 1st camshaft seal. Its coming from somewhere that the antifreeze and the sea water come in contact with each other. Im thinking somewhere around the heat exchanger. I guess Ill just have to take a closer look at it. Ill get back with ya this next weekend.:cool:

i do know its NOT coming from this weep hole. That only happens when the engine over heats and blows the 1st camshaft seal. Its coming from somewhere that the antifreeze and the sea water come in contact with each other. Im thinking somewhere around the heat exchanger. I guess Ill just have to take a closer look at it. Ill get back with ya this next weekend.:cool:

Sorry, you are wrong. That seal leaking has nothing to do with running hot. They just wear out by friction. Good to know 1-location where it is NOT leaking. There are too many possible locations for us to just guess at. You will have to get in there with a rag, dry up what ever is wet and start some detective work. Let us know what you find.
Good luck

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Sorry, you are wrong. That seal leaking has nothing to do with running hot. They just wear out by friction. Good to know 1-location where it is NOT leaking. There are too many possible locations for us to just guess at. You will have to get in there with a rag, dry up what ever is wet and start some detective work. Let us know what you find.
Good luck

I beg to differ with ya, I just replaced them seals last weekend in fact. When the engine over heats, that seal, from the pressure of over heating, pushes back, exposing that weep hole which hides underneath the seal. so, I do know this seal is not the culprit. Ill just have to, like you said, do some detective work this next weekend.
Oh yeah, one other thing, when them seals do go, the antifreeze pours rite out of that weep hole, even with the engine NOT running.
Ill get back with ya when I find it out though.

mdlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Remove the riser and take a look at the flange on the top of the exhaust manifold. Electrolyses can eat at the top of this flange, and cause it to erode and possible leek both raw and fresh coolant. I doughty this is your problem , but it is the only location where raw and fresh coolant might come together,,,, unless your heat exchanger is leaking? not a good thing.

ericcarr2000

Ensign

My gut feeling is going to be the darn exchanger for some reason, guess well see this weekend huh. Ill let you know then.....
Thanks for all the responses...:cool:

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Remove the riser and take a look at the flange on the top of the exhaust manifold. Electrolyses can eat at the top of this flange, and cause it to erode and possible leek both raw and fresh coolant. I doughty this is your problem , but it is the only location where raw and fresh coolant might come together,,,, unless your heat exchanger is leaking? not a good thing.

Oh yeah, one more thing, If this were the case, the flange getting eaten away from electrolosys, the mixture would be dumped over board wouldnt it?
The mixture is dumping into the bilge area, hmmmmm:cool:

4WinnMark

Cadet
Hey Eric....did you ever figure this out? I’m experiencing the same thing with my 470.

Status
Not open for further replies.