Did Regal wire my boat correctly? Im concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I have a 2000 reagal 2760 with twin mercruiser 4.3 V6 engines.
My concern is that from my training the wiring of the engines to the batteries is incorrect, however it is exactly as Regal's diagram in the manual says it should be wired.

The main positive wires from each of two batteries are connected to the 1 and 2 posts of a single 3 post (on-1-both-2) battery switch.
from the common on the switch a large gauge wire runs to the starter terminal connection point on each engine. one passes through a connecting pole, where power for the windlass and house are tapped off.

this starter pole connection point is the only connection between the battery and the engine, as such i am forced to assume that it is through this combined point that both alternators charge the batteries, this being my main point of concern.
In the manual they state that running the engine with the battery switch on both could damage the alternators, however if the main wires are connected to one common, I believe the output charge is combined all the time, and the both position is the only way to have both batteries charged.

Please let me know what you guys think. I think Regal got something wrong here and the engines should never be on a common like this. at least not the charging circuits.

caught in a bit of a Fuss LOL :confused: i expect better from regal.

No Fuss :D

Please see diagrams attached.

Attachments

• regal 2760 twin engine wiring diag.jpg
    regal 2760 twin engine wiring diag.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
  • regal 2760 twin wiring.jpg
    regal 2760 twin wiring.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Did Regal wire my boat correctly? Im concerned.

According to them , Yes.
According to me, NO. Each engine should have it`s own ,independant electrical system.
Get another batt sw. and wire it so each engine is on it`s own. Install a house battery or use 1 of the starting batteries for the ships battery.This way no matter what happens you have atleast 1 system completely isolated from the other.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Did Regal wire my boat correctly? Im concerned.

I agree with BD, with one further consideration. I would have each engine with it's own, independent (dual battery) system, AND a large single pole switch so I could use one engines batteries to start the other engine.... That covers you in case of a total failure of one engine's charging system. This will mean 4 engine batteries in the boat, not 2.

Need a picture? Just ask.. :D

Chris.............

bgmartin

Recruit
I have the same boat except for Volvo engines. I am a novice and not sure about the wiring on my boat as well. I have 1 battery on post 1 and 5 batteries in series for post 2. Need to replace them as this is how I bought it. Do I need all those batteries to run anything? I have shore power.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Is you using the standard 12volt battery then post 1 is 12v and post 2 is 60 volts?(5 batteries in series for post 2.)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have the same boat except for Volvo engines. I am a novice and not sure about the wiring on my boat as well. I have 1 battery on post 1 and 5 batteries in series for post 2. Need to replace them as this is how I bought it. Do I need all those batteries to run anything? I have shore power.

This thread is 8 years old. Please start a new thread of your own.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.