want to replace thunderbolt iv ignition system

Status
Not open for further replies.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My Thunderbolt ignition module is acting up. I can't read the numbers off the old one any more. Went to the local dealer and all modules of that year are no longer available. So what can i replace my ignition system with? It's for a 1986 mercruiser 350 4bbl carb

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: want to replace thunderbolt iv ignition system

I had a similar issue last season and replaced mine with an MSD marine package deal. Ignition module, distributor, cap, and wires ran about $700 online.

c0y0te56

Cadet

I had a similar issue last season and replaced mine with an MSD marine package deal. Ignition module, distributor, cap, and wires ran about $700 online.

Ditto
After hours and hours & $and $ Thats how I went.:cool:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

best system, and the kit is about 350, is the DELCO EST kit.
simple easy and parts are readily avalible.

zbnutcase

Commander

My Thunderbolt ignition module is acting up. I can't read the numbers off the old one any more. Went to the local dealer and all modules of that year are no longer available. So what can i replace my ignition system with? It's for a 1986 mercruiser 350 4bbl carb

The old style aluminum case modules are the only ones not available anymore

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Where can i get a delco est kit?

Fun Times

Staff member

What is the merc part number you need?

SlapShotE77

Recruit

The old style aluminum case modules are the only ones not available anymore

Not entirely true. I am new to boating, but I am having trouble finding the ICM for a 96 5.7 LX. I am told that I need to go with a conversion kit, which to me looks like a new style ICM with DELCO style connectors and a few wires. But they want almost $500 for the kit! I am about to get an MSD package, but if anyone has amy info on new ICM's for this application, I'm all ears. (or eyes, as the case is here) :eek:) I am sure that info would be helpful to alot of us, including the person who posted this thread.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Not entirely true. I am new to boating, but I am having trouble finding the ICM for a 96 5.7 LX. I am told that I need to go with a conversion kit, which to me looks like a new style ICM with DELCO style connectors and a few wires. But they want almost $500 for the kit! I am about to get an MSD package, but if anyone has amy info on new ICM's for this application, I'm all ears. (or eyes, as the case is here) :eek:) I am sure that info would be helpful to alot of us, including the person who posted this thread.

You have T5 and I am not aware of a similiar kit for T4. But for your issue:

I just bit the bullet and got the conversion kit for my '97 5.7L. It is the newer style ICM with two connectors. Installation went smooth. I was able to get one for $360 w/shipping from ebay. It is new stock. Check out seller "Marine Power service". I also called their phone and was surprised to get a tech that actually checked on a couple of things and called me back.

If it wasn't in the middle of boating season, I might of swapped ignitions. The DELCO EST and equivelents, seem to be highly recommend. If my module goes again, that will be it for T5.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

might try cleaning all of the contacts and making sure it's grounded well through good contacts... what I once thought was an ignition module stayed when i changed modules and then went away when I cleaned everything... Just a thought.

sl8rson

Cadet
wca_tim, could I ask you, if I did the thunderbolt IV ignition system test and I had no voltage on the red/white lead at the distributor so it lead me disconnecting the wht/red from terminal and then testing that lead and still had no voltage. It all lead me to thinking the module is toast. Do you think maybe there could still be hope with just cleaning all my connections? When my engine failed it was while at almost full throttle and was running great all weekend.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This one of the reasons we ask that old, inactive threads stay that way. Tim has not been here since November and this thread is 6 years old.

sl8rson - Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new topic. You have a much better chance of an answer because few members look at old threads, Thanks.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.