VP Model #58FAPHUE - Alternator belt wont stay on

H20Banker

Recruit
1996 Four Winns Sundowner 245 with a Volvo Penta 5.8L engine. Just purchased about 3 weeks ago and apparently (according to volvo penta certified mechanics) the alternator belt burning/slipping is a know issue and may have been recalled at some point. At $20 a belt I will not keep replacing and burning etc...

I had 2 different highly recommended 'neighborhood' mechanics put new belts on for me as I thought maybe it was something I was doing wrong. They are the correct belts for this engine.

These belts will stay on during idle and under no wake conditions. Once power is given, they seem to burn and break. In retrieving the broken one, it appears that approximately only 4 inches of the belt is worn thin at the breaking point - the rest of the belt looks new.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what did you do to fix it? Suggestions are obviously encouraged as well. Thanks.

-Discouraged Boater!!!

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: VP Model #58FAPHUE - Alternator belt wont stay on

check that pully and replace or repair if it looks bent sometimes theres an area where the pully is pinched closed just enough to allow the belt to fray or jump off carfully inspect it or replace it if its cheap enough possibly auto parts house can match one up btw this usally happens after a mechanic or someone prys against the pully making other adjustments on belts