OMC 245 Alternator/Voltage Regulator

WaterLauger

Cadet
I have a 23' Crestliner w/OMC 245. After going through the engine and manifolds, I wanted to check the alternator/charging system before putting her in motion for Memorial Day. I took the alternator to a local shop and it is producing 20 amps. I think this unit is rated at about 38-39 amps. Is this enough juice to charge the battery? If not, should I consider a higher output internal regulated alternator? What wiring nightmares should I expect?<br /><br />Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC 245 Alternator/Voltage Regulator

Water Laguger<br />20 amps should be fine for charging the battery unless you have a big load like a trolling motor battery that you are also charging. A big deep cycle house battery could take some time to charge if run down. Personaly if you do decide to change it I would go with the same style. Main reason is when working on in the future all your wire diagrams still right. You can get a bigger alternator of the same style. Most alternators do not charge over 20 amps for more than a minute or two anyway. When they tested did they turn the alternator up in RPMs or just test at the standard 1000 RPMS?

WaterLauger

Cadet
Re: OMC 245 Alternator/Voltage Regulator

I wasn't watching. But that is good advice. I hear all these guys with 100+ amp alternators and start wondering why I have a little 38 amp alternator. This is a fairly large boat and can run a lot of things - radio, cigarette lighter accessories, etc. I don't currently have a trolling motor so I think I will take your advice and just be happy with the 20 amps.<br /><br />Thanks