frozen shift cable

webbie

Cadet
Hi guys Im new here. Great site! So I have a 1985 mercruiser 230mr outdrive. I repowered the boat in 2000
with a new 260 but kept the original outdrive.
My problem is the lower shift cable is frozen in nuetral. I have read how to replace cable and I realize that outdrive has to be in forward position to remove. How do I go about that when Im frozen in nuetral. Thanks, webbie

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: frozen shift cable

Cut the cable near the shift cable bellows. Then use a cresent wrench on the shift shaft to line them up straight fore and aft so they will slide apart when you pull the drive.

webbie

Cadet

Thanks Don for your quick response. That makes perfect sense. I will dig into that tomorrow. If I understand it correctly I should not need to retap my casing for the newer cable. Is that correct?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If for some reason you can't do as Don suggested, just remove the lower unit, then you can pull it in any gear.

webbie

Cadet

Thanks Terry for your reply. If i remove the lower unit do I still need to cut cable? If not is it possible to free up cable at shift end? Or am I reaching. Thanks, Jeff

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If i remove the lower unit do I still need to cut cable? If not is it possible to free up cable at shift end? Or am I reaching. Thanks, Jeff

No. The reason that you put the shift in forward is that both the top of intermediate shift shaft and the bottom of the upper shift shaft are pointed straight ahead, and allows the intermediate to slide out of the upper shift shaft connection. When you drop the lower the intermediate drops straight down out of the upper connection. Once again to Ziggie's photo post #14 http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2764600#post2764600

You can disconnect at the engine end and see if it moves, but you will need to replace the cable.

webbie

Cadet

OK now I understand. I've never worked on an outdrive or had one apart, but after searching this forum I have a much better understanding of how they work. Thanks Terry

webbie

Cadet

Hi today I removed the lower cable from the motor and with vice grips I was able to free it up. It moves in and out freely. When I push in on it for forward the prop locks as it should but when I pull out on the cable the prop ratchets both cw and ccw won't lock is this normal or should there be preasure on the cable?
Also on the remote cable where the manual says brass barrel I have rubber, probably newer style cable anyway that rubber piece apears torn and is not holding shift cable stationary probably due to excesive force on throttle control when cable was stuck. Can this piece be replaced or am I looking at 2 new cables Thanks , Jeff