OMC Stringer Drive - Shift Cable Removal

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok I found out the hard way.

I attempted to disassemble my stringer drive to replace the water pump impeller tonight.

Upon separating the lower unit from the upper unit I discovered that the shift cable will not allow me to remove the lower unit.

So I had to put it back together by myself which was not very easy. I was successful though.

I am curious why nobody mentions the shift cable needs to be disconnected in the engine compartment before the water pump can be replaced?

Does anyone have pics of the shift box mechanism? I would like to study them before tearing into it. The pictures in my manual are really crappy.

Does anyone have any pointers for disconnecting the cable before I start?

Is it difficult to reassemble and properly adjust the cable mechanism after the lower unit is reassembled?

Your time and advice is greatly appreciated.

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC Stringer Drive - Shift Cable Removal

its not hard at all but patience is of virtue! on the back of the motor is the shift converter box this is where the outdrive cable connects. on the back of the opening where it slides into the converter is 2 spring loaded prawls they pull back and when you let go they grab the cable but first remove the cable held by the cotter pin comming from the helm shifter then the screws then the 7/16 nut on the control arm now pull out the 2 inch bolt and take the cover off now all you do is lift the prawls on the back while pushing forward on the big cable and this will give you enough slack to remove the steel leads out of the sockets remember to add some grease to the cable b-4 you pull it through the transom when you reinstall it back you will have to re adjust the cables on the converter box but thats another post and its simple good luck pss dont forget the clip on the intermediate drive that holds the cable to the intermediate housing its held by a bolt you can see it when the drive is all the way up its on the port side go ahead and remove it first before you forget you will be pulling the whole upper and lower off together it is way easier that way then split the cases to do the rest about 3.5 hours to complete job

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Full Stringer.

Your directions are clear and I believe I can do it. I will try to complete the removal tomorrow night. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again ;)

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i know i can i know i can lol you can!!

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dont forget to put permetex # 2 on those water pump housing bolts before installing and grease those splines good on both the pump shaft and the upper bearing carrier internal splines also make sure the o ring is in the upper shaft groove before pushing the w/p shaft up there sometimes you wont see its missing because its covered in grease good luck

zbnutcase

Commander

And whatever you do, DO NOT destroy that cable, as a new one is $600ish

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes it is unless you find on ebay or something wow wish i would have bought stock back in the day lol

yes it is unless you find on ebay or something wow wish i would have bought stock back in the day lol

LOL yeah I got my waterpump drive shaft new on ebay 64$ half of the cost at the boat shop . Nice deals there.

And when you screw up like I did (buy a electric OMC shift) and find out the waterpump shaft is different you can still sell it on ebay. (have 4 watchers and 0 bids 6 days to go listed 200$ lol

SO yeah its a dog eat dog world wish I bought a boat part when I was 6 yrs old. Looks like I will have to tell my children to learn from my mistakes.

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok guys... the stringer out drive has been removed from the boat. :)

It wasn't difficult at all and the removal of the cable from the shift mechanism was simple and straightforward.

I expect my replacement water pump and seals to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to going through the lower unit on the bench.

I will keep you posted on the water pump replacement and lower unit shake out as progress occurs.

Thanks for all of your comments and advice.

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

see told ya you could do it hahaha right on bro!!!!

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: OMC Stringer Drive - Water Pump Tribulations

Re: OMC Stringer Drive - Water Pump Tribulations

Ok guys... here the latest update on my stringer water pump replacement.

The parts arrived by UPS which was the first major hurdle. :)

I then began disassembly of the lower unit and confirmed the parts were correct. :)

Upon inspection of the water pump assembly, I found the impeller was severely damaged and the pump housing pitted and corroded. So all of the parts I purchased were needed after all. :)

It was no problem to remove the water pump cap, the impeller and the impeller plate. :)

After that is when the fun started. Upon trying to remove the the original water pump housing from the lower unit casting I found it was severely frozen. Years of exposure to water, heat and corrosion has taken it toll. (What a pain in the Arsh! :mad:)

I was able to get the pump to rotate a small amount however the aluminum housing also rotated with it. (Definitely frozen) Despite penetrating fluid and several attempts... not much luck. I cannot get too rough with it in fear of breaking the casting which would require a new upper housing. Ugggggh!

I have loosened many a stuck items in my day and have rarely lost a battle. However, this one is trying my patience. I have not given up yet though.

No possibility to heat is up so I am having a flat plate made to use as a puller. This will allow me to screw three bolts into the threaded holes in the pump housing and pull with even pressure. I hope this will do the trick.

If anyone has advice... now is the time to provide it.

Anyone know any tricks for removing a stuck pump housing?

Please provide your comments. Thanks a million.

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am glad that is behind me.... the stringer drive (with new impeller) is back in the boat. :eek:

Everything seems to be working correctly. :)

It pumps water and I confirmed good circulation through engine. I screwed up the adjustment on the shift box the first time and it was hard to shift. I read the manual and readjusted and it was ok.

I can now say I have full understanding of the stringer drive. First time through is always a pain in the butt. But I think I could do it in half the time if I did it again.

I will take the boat out tomorrow for a test run and let you know how it ran.

If the lower unit make any grinding noises or locks up... I am taking the plug out of it and I am swimming to shore.

Ok guys... Happy third of July! Gotta run to see the fireworks tonight. Wish I was on the lake watching them.

I am glad that is behind me.... the stringer drive (with new impeller) is back in the boat. :eek:

Everything seems to be working correctly. :)

It pumps water and I confirmed good circulation through engine. I screwed up the adjustment on the shift box the first time and it was hard to shift. I read the manual and readjusted and it was ok.

I can now say I have full understanding of the stringer drive. First time through is always a pain in the butt. But I think I could do it in half the time if I did it again.

I will take the boat out tomorrow for a test run and let you know how it ran.

If the lower unit make any grinding noises or locks up... I am taking the plug out of it and I am swimming to shore.

Ok guys... Happy third of July! Gotta run to see the fireworks tonight. Wish I was on the lake watching them.

SO did you pull the plug and swim? give us an update please.

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry for the delay to reply. I have been on the lake. :)

The stringer drive is working perfectly. I could not be happier. It seems the impeller made all of the difference. I have noticed allot of negative posts on stringer drives. I am not sure why as the unit functions fine.

My little 16.5 ft Starcraft with the 120 hp OMC runs faster than I want to go.
I will try to post a picture in my reply string.

Really felt good to be back on the water. :D

orchie18

Cadet

Hey Im doin the same job on the same outdrive, 84 stringer 800, havent got into the pump yet for lack of time, on the impeller, does the pump fins stay straight out or do they curve and bend to fit the pump housing, just curious before i tear it down. This oudrive stuff is new to me as well. tks

Frank