Mercruiser 165 IL 6 electronic conversion kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi there,

my 165 IL 6 has a electronic (ignition) conversion on it. What exactly is the advantage of it?

Best Regards,

popey

smarks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser 165 IL 6 electronic conversion kit

Easer starting, less mainentence (points Adj, setting dwell). I think they idle a bit smoother and are more respondsive. Just my opinion

Steve

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

more expensive that points, go-no go type system.even bad points will create some spark.
Previous owner didnt know how to install and maintain them.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have installed electronic conversion kits (incl new coils) on a pair of OMC 165s. The idle has newer been better. With the old points, they shouldn't get below 700-800 rpm, otherwise it felt like they could stall at any time. (new points will off course had helped here) But now they run like an electric motor and can go down to 500 rpm.

Throughout the rpm range, the engine runs more smooth, I think.

The kits came from "hot-spark". They are very easy to install, no external box, it is all hidden in the distributor. Two wires, adjust timing, and you are ready to go.

Off course, well adjusted new points makes an engine run great, but I believe that system is outdated.

Electronic ignition newer wear out and requires no manitainance, great.

antsmands

Seaman

hi there,

my 165 IL 6 has a electronic (ignition) conversion on it. What exactly is the advantage of it?

Best Regards,

popey

I put electronic ignition on my 3.0 and it responds much, much better. Better starting, idling and runs smoother at rpm. No adjustment to points and dwell. Easy to install. Worth the expense.

Bravo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anyone have the part numbers and where I can get the conversion kit for my '69 Wellcraft with the 160 hp L6 mercruiser? I'd be really interested in getting rid of the points ignition in there.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone have the part numbers and where I can get the conversion kit for my '69 Wellcraft with the 160 hp L6 mercruiser? I'd be really interested in getting rid of the points ignition in there.

This is the kit I installed on two OMC 165s
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elec...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And a new coil. (forget about reusing the old coil)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You will not regret scrapping the old stone-age ignition.

Anthenium

Cadet
I see this is an Old Post. I was just curious if Popeye installed this conversion himself, or the conversion was done before he got the boat. I'm considering the conversion on my 1976 MerCruiser 165, but I've read that some diodes and resistors may need to be soldered in place for this to work right...

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I see this is an Old Post.

Which is now closed

POPEY hasnt been on iboats in over 2.5yrs, not likely to get or reply to any messages left here., hence the 90day rule.

Please follow the 90day inactive topic rule, as noted in the helpful tip at the top of the page

Status
Not open for further replies.