Mercruiser 3.0 L Water in oil

Wadden

Recruit
Hello,
I just replaced a head gasket on my 3.0. I set the valves, replaced manifold gasket, replaced everything back into original position. Started up engine and was running good. Left the valve cover off to check the valve adjustment and realized after 30-45 seconds water started to come up thru the push rods and onto the rocker arm. Took everything back off and recheck. Everything appears good. Any suggestion why water would be getting in the oil. Thanks.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 L Water in oil

Freeze crack in block usually, time to start diggin a little deeper!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Sure sounds like a Freeze Cracked block to me too...

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

did any of the cylinder bores show any sign of water ?

Overheat i suppose ,then changed head gasket...

It is possible to have a very small crack in a cylinder after an overheat if not found in the other areas of the block.

fish

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you make sure the head wasn't warped?

gwpuma

Cadet

I two am going thourgh the same thing... Had head redone and inspected at napa. Prior to finding water is now in the oil. Manual tells me to retighten gasket bolts after 10hrs... But havent even ran it that long.

No water was getting in with the muffs on but did when i put it in the lake... Was running well but RPM's wouldnt go over 3500

Bondo

Staff member

I two am going thourgh the same thing... Had head redone and inspected at napa. Prior to finding water is now in the oil. Manual tells me to retighten gasket bolts after 10hrs... But havent even ran it that long.

No water was getting in with the muffs on but did when i put it in the lake... Was running well but RPM's wouldnt go over 3500

Ayuh,... You've probably got a Freeze Cracked block as well...
Drain the block, isolate the water passages,+ pressure test with Air,.. about 15psi...
You'll Hear the leak,... Follow the sound...