can you explain the mechinical aspect of the interrupter switch function

conron

Seaman
I have a 1986 mercrusier 120 and I understand how the interrupter switch works and why it does, but on my engine I cant tell if the spring loaded "A" bracket is moving enough to do what its suppose to do. I notice that the cable is running inside of the outer shell and that the shell has a "screwed nut" thing on it that is connected to the "A" bracket but I dont know how thats suppose to work. I'm pretty sure the switch is bad because the engine stalls when hooked up properly but I just don't know how the rest of it works....what makes it move and how? Thanks

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: can you explain the mechinical aspect of the interrupter switch function

Here's an explanation of the switch:
interrupt switch explained

But from the sound of your post, your switch is working correctly - your shift cable is probably bad and needs replaced. Maybe just adjusted.... but chances are good it needs replaced.

conron

Seaman

the switch never moves even when going in and out of gear and when the switch is wide open the engine trys to stall at idle and eventually will, but when I push it all the way down it dies instantly. goes into gear fine in water just wont come out...works fine on land when no load on prop

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

when I push it all the way down it dies instantly.

that has verified that the switch is working as it should.

your problem is related to the shift cable.
and it sounds like you have an engine issue affecting its ability to idle

the switch never moves
did someone lubricate the lower cable?

conron

Seaman

I'm not sure...not since I got the boat. is the lower shift cable something I can do...I'm not stupid, mechinacally inclined just new at boats...might I add that if the switch is completely diconnected the engine will idle perfectly

Bondo

Staff member

is the lower shift cable something I can do...I'm not stupid, mechinacally inclined just new at boats...

Ayuh,... The switch is workin' just Fine...

Up in the Adults Only section at the top of this forum are the factory manuals,...
Changing the Cable is explained in the manual...

Edit; Double thread about the Same problem....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the switch never moves even when going in and out of gear and when the switch is wide open the engine trys to stall at idle and eventually will, but when I push it all the way down it dies instantly. goes into gear fine in water just wont come out...works fine on land when no load on prop

You do understand that the boat has to be in the water for the A bracket to move. It will not move if you are running on muffs. If it does, that means your shift cable is binding and needs replaced.

I take it you didn't read the link Fishermark posted for you?

conron

Seaman

I read it before he posted it ..guess I overlooked this part

Reds Green

Cadet

...and when the switch is wide open...

This has me concerned. You mention that when the switch is "wide open" the engine struggles. This is not right. The end of the ignition switch interrupter arm where the roller tip is, should be centered in the V-groove of the A-arm at all times when running the boat on muffs. If its not, then you probably have a bad lower shift cable (likely), or the shift cables are out of adjustment (unlikely unless you've been diddling around here). If the shift interrupt switch roller tip is centered on the A-arm, and the engine wants to die, then the switch is probably bad. I've seen the old style switch (with the arm and roller tip, not the plunger type) develop a resistance to ground internally when in the open position. This shift interrupt switch applies or 'switches' a ground onto the ignition coil which kills the motor. If the switch is in the un-switched or open position (centered in the A-arm V-notch) and you disconnect either wire to the switch and notice an improvement on how the engine runs, change the switch.

What is somewhat more likely is that your lower shift cable is worn out. When the cable wears, it becomes stiff, and the core won't slide smoothly inside the sheath. When this happens, it will cause the shift interrupt switch to apply a ground to the ignition coil when it shouldn't. To test this you have to have a load on the prop (boat in the water). If you are in the water and shift the boat from forward to neutral while watching the A-arm, the A-arm should move as the gear shift is placed into neutral. The movement is caused because the shift cable core reaches its limit of travel and begins to pull on the cable sheath. When the sheath is pulled it causes the A-arm to go off center, which causes the shift interrupt switch to apply ground to the ignition coil. The instant the engine starts to die, the gears in the lower unit come apart (because the A-arm spring and cable sheath are pulling on them), the cable sheath no longer has tension on it and the A-arm centers and the shift interrupt switch removes the ground on the coil. Happens quick, but you can see it if you have someone move the gearshift while you're back there watching. What is probably happening is that, because the lower shift cable, the one attached to the A-arm (which is spring loaded in both directions) is worn out and sticky, won't let the A-arm move quickly and freely back to the center position. This then has the effect of either stalling the engine, or making it hard to get back into neutral. It doesn't matter whether you are coming from forward to neutral or reverse to neutral, the prinicple is the same. And the switch doesn't do anything when going into forward or into reverse. Only coming into neutral does the switch work (because the gear teeth in the lower unit are designed to grab one another when going into gear - also referred to as a clutch, and stay engaged).

You won't see the A-arm move with the boat on the trailer because the lower shift cable sheath has to have a load on the prop in order to move the A-arm. Air isn't enough load.

One more thing - I think that when the lower shift cable goes bad it causes the A-arm to move sluggishly, thus the shift interrupt switch to not have a good snapy on/off effect. This 'lazy' operation of the lower shift cable then causes the shift interrupt switch to see a longer duration of electrical current through it (from the ignition coil) which then causes the switch to fail. Its designed as a momentary switch, not as a constant-on current-carrying switch. You could be facing two problems making it more difficult to troubleshoot. Both the cable and the switch might be failing.

KevinKay

Cadet

I was setting the timming on my boat, forgot and left the switch un-attached. Put the boat in the water and when shifted into gear it did nto come out of N, and woudl not go into rev. Is this working correctly??? Hooked back up the wires and all is fine, but casued a "close call".
Thansk,
KEvin

conron

Seaman

thank you reds green. I think that the switch is bad because it sits it the center of the A-arm and still trys..or makes the engine run very sluggish until it die. when I disconnect it it the engine dosent stall or even try to, ideles great. Fixing a small leak and will put it in the water to try with a load to see everything working. I will post the results...thanks

Reds Green

Cadet

This is good troubleshooting! Divide and conquer. If disconnecting the shift interrupt switch wire causes the engine to run properly then you absolutely know that the switch has developed an internal resistance to ground when in its normally open position (assuming the switch is correctly adjusted - it could be adjusted right to the edge of making an electrical ground making it *seem* like a bad switch, and that your shift cables aren't causing the shift switch interrupt cam to partially depress the switch when they shouldn't be). I have personally measured the electrical resistance of a Mercury shift interrupt switch with this exact issue. Its an easy test, and an easy measurement with a $10 ohm meter, and an easy and *relatively* inexpensive fix.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Might want to check the dates of a thread before you reply as you read through old post. This one is from 2 years ago. I would suspect he has already found the problem.