83 OMC Stringer 3.8L - Alternator won't fit!

tmclendon

Seaman
I've really enjoyed this board and appreciate all the great advice. Thanks to all!<br /><br />Here's my own special tale of woe: I have an '83 OMC 3.8L (4barrel). It's been a great runner until around 3 years ago. The old Rochester Q-jet gave up the ghost (with some help from me, but that's another story). So I decide to replace it with a nice, easy to work on Holley (Marine-spec holley 450cfm, almost $500, THAT was a shock). Of course the holley is a "square" bore so I can either use an adapter or get a new aluminum intake. I got the intake, figured it might be good for some extra HP, plus it's lighter. So far so good. I get everything back together (had to put a 1" spacer under the carb as there is not enought clearance from the thermostat housing). BUT when I went to reattach the alternator, CLANK, the giant (so it seems to me now) thermostat housing is right in the way. The alternator (std size, 65 amp) is about 1.5 inches too deep.<br /><br />My question: what can I do? I know there are smaller diameter alternators available, but I need a shorter one. (or a smaller housing). The only alternative I see now is to put the old intake back on and use the carb adapter.<br /><br />Any help appreciated!!<br /><br />Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 83 OMC Stringer 3.8L - Alternator won't fit!

Call Flagship Marine Engine Co at 800-282-2840 and talk to Jack. He'll fix you right up.<br /><br />Good luck!