Rear engine mounting hardware off - missed the lock washer placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got my engine, the alignment seems to be good but after reviewing the manual for the older engine I put in to replace my newer one I noticed the lock washer needs to be under the engine mount verses above it. Since my engine is in now and the outdrive is all hooked up it will be a pain in the *** to remove everything, raise the engine and fix the lockwasher placement. Do you think its a big deal? I seem to be aligned right...

Attached is a photo of the rear mounting setup that I missed.

th

Last edited by a moderator:

6meter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rear engine mounting hardware off - missed the lock washer placement

Just keep an eye on the bolt loosening up. Should be good if you are aligned good.

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe next time I take the outdrive off Ill fix it but for now its fine. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just keep an eye on the bolt loosening up. Should be good if you are aligned good.

WRONG.
That double lock washer is for alignment purposes, and yes they MUST be in there if you have the old style motor mounts.
if you tightend down the rear mounts with the fiber pads only, you have also severly stretched the rubber in the mount. May cause them to fail earlier than normal.

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So what do you recommend, I pull the engine and inser the washers or can i lift it a bit and slide some cut washers in there. It was abear getting the outdrive in....

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you think I can lift the engine enough with it still attached to the outdrive to get the lock washers in? It only has to go up a 1/2 inch I believe?

Don S

Take the drive off, or you will damage the coupler.
Besides, after you put the springs in, you WILL have to realign it.

Bifflefan

Commander

Arent they also to take up engine vibrations? like a rubber mount would?

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What if I lifted the engine and slid it forward just enough to get the washers in? I can slide it off the shaft. It's aligned

Don S

Arent they also to take up engine vibrations? like a rubber mount would?
No, it is a rubber mount. Those double wound washers are completely collapsed when the bolt is tightened.

It's aligned

It won't be after you put those washers in.

Bifflefan

Commander

No, it is a rubber mount. Those double wound washers are completely collapsed when the bolt is tightened.

Thanks, putting that in the old memory bank for later use...

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you think I can run like this for a few days? Or am u looking at some permenant damage? I have an extra coupler and bellhousing i can use if that's the only thing I'll ruin...

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How would I know if it wasn't aligned? What would be happening to give me a sign it was off alignment?

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you dont fix it the moun will stretch then you will burn out your coupler which you have to pull the motor jsut put the hard ware back in properly if not then stop asking questions on here and wasting time some people i tell ya

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What moun? I'm not hearing any moun.. It's sounds great. I'm trying to figure if I need to do anything. I'm askng proper questions here.

What I'm trying to decider is if I'm good or not. If the washers colapase sll the way why do I need them in? I'm resting on the fiber washers anyway if the washers colapse all the way. There just there to help prevent the bolts from coming loose is what it sounds like.

Again. What would give me a signal the alignment is off? It seems aligned to me, there is no obvious indication I am off but maybe I'm missing something. What should I be listening, looking for as a sign it's off or on.

heebeha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Come in Captains and Admirals out there help me out here please

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

As Don suggests, pull the drive, lift the back of the engine up, place the two double lock washers in, [one each side] align the engine again, and re-install the drive. Failure to do so, will ruin the mount and the coupler.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Your question has already been answered. You MUST put the washers in the way it is outlined in the manual. Just because you keep asking the same question over and over by wording it a little different each time is not going to change the answer. But hey... its your boat, do what you want...

Status
Not open for further replies.