Starting a Mercruiser 3.0 liter '97

KidFloater

Cadet
Hello everyone! Newbie to the site.
When I first put the boat in the water the engine starts great. But when I've been tooling around for awhile and shut off the engine I have to crank this thing for several seconds to get it to re-start. It always re-starts but there is always a couple of seconds where in my mind I wonder if it will.
Any clues what I can do to make this engine start better after it warms up?:confused:
THANKS!

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starting a Mercruiser 3.0 liter '97

When I first put the boat in the water the engine starts great. But when I've been tooling around for awhile and shut off the engine I have to crank this thing for several seconds to get it to re-start. It always re-starts but there is always a couple of seconds where in my mind I wonder if it will.
Any clues what I can do to make this engine start better after it warms up?:confused:
THANKS!

I have a similar problem on my 2000, and have been told it may need a carb rebuild.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

THANKS!

It is quite common for a carb engine that you have to crank a little more, when the engine is warm, before it starts.
My 4.3 engine does the same.
But I adjusted the fuel level in the carb some time ago, it was too high and the engine had developed had a terrible idle. I bent the arm on the float assembly so it matched the specs. This cured the idle problem and I feel that a warm start is better than ever.

If the only annoying point about the engine is that it has to crank a little more when warm, and otherwise runs perfect, I wouldn't worry or do anything.

I believe that the reason for the extra cranking is that the engine is flodded a little. Starting a flodded engine is always easier if you open the throttle fully, but be ready to pull it back to idle, as soon as the engine fires up.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Advance the throttle abit before startin' it....

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

THANKS!

We are all spoiled by our fuel injected, computer controlled, cars.

You have a carburated engine without all of the fancy electronics...and will learn the best procedure for starting yours when warm.

"Several seconds"? Can we swap...?

Happy boating!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you post what your procedures are for starting cold, and how you start it when warm, Maybe someone will notice something you may be doing wrong, or there could be a problem with your engine. So far, nothing to compare anything to.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

lucky..
It has been 5 MILLION 184 THOUSAND seconds since mine was fired up..
(60 days..lol)

KidFloater

Cadet

Thanks guys! Some good info....I guess mainly the answer is if it starts, don't worry about it and have a good time.

I have a 98 and it does the same thing and I do as Bondo says I just crack the throttle open a little and she fires right up!