Mercruiser 3.0 V Belt Issues

cchamp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been having repetitive issues with the V. Belt on my 3.0L Mercruiser Alpha Drive. Basically I've had the belt replaced 3 times between last summer and this one. I don't boat all the time either....probably been out to the lake 20 times. I just had the pulleys sanded and repainted thinking they may be rusted and excessively wearing the belt. Did not help...right now my entire engine is covered in black soot from the belt wearing off and its loose and about to go. I noticed today that the last belt my lake mechanic put on was a:

Goodyear Gatorback 15406 Matchmaker 11AV1015

Anyone know if that is a compatible belt? I'm pretty sure he charged me 60 bucks for it (we'll be having a convo about that tomorrow).

Anyway- any ideas on what would cause these belts to wear quickly? I feel like I'm continuously treating the symptom and not the disease.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 V Belt Issues

Get a straight edge and make sure all the pullies are in line and do not over tighten

cchamp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok- so the issue could be if the pulleys are slightly out of alignment? I'll check that out shortly. I just dropped the boat off with a new mechanic tonight so hopefully I'll get some feedback from them. Anything else that could cause severe wear on a belt that quickly?

I thought that possibly the alternator bearings were locking and causing slipage but I'm not having any battery issues. My drive lube monitor was extremely low though. Not sure if they could even be related.

NHGuy

Captain

If the belt isn't rubbing something it probably isn't straight. Just as the other poster inferred. Your first technician should have seen it if he did a startup after the belt install.
Or if the belt was too narrow and went to the bottom of the vee on the pulleys that's also no good.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

You could also check to make sure all you assesories pullies are free wheeling and not binding. Also you said you just painted the pullies is there more paint on one side of the v than the other? and did your past and present belt show signs of wear in any particular area if you had black soot on your engine it had to be from something dragging and grinding the belt away. Look for root cause and not temp, fix!!!!!!!!!!

cchamp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hear ya! I'm not the most mechanically inclined. Never had anyone to teach me so I'm teaching myself. Keep the tips coming. The more info I have the better.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I'm no expert by far but have learned a few things along the way. Tyr the pullies on everything with belt off and make sure you have no binding in them and they are all in line with each other. Hope this helps. I do suggest you go up to the 1st posts of this forum (adults only stickies) and download the service manual for your engine and read it allot of good info in the stickies. It makes boating a lil less exspensive