GLM Manifold Blues

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
OK, I know what I think I am seeing but whats your opinion, or am I nuts? Ok I know I am thats besides the point. this is the port of a BRAND NEW GLM manifold, notice the white crusty line :mad:. this is after 6hrs running

IMG00517.jpg

Here is another port on the manifold, those white dots really look like pits viewing it in person

IMG00521.jpg

I do believe its time for a pressure test

Bondo

Staff member
Re: GLM Manifold Blues

Ayuh,.... $uck$ to be Us don't it,.... I'm still runnin' My remachined 1s....

So far, So Good....

Those aluminum, or iron,..??

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Bondo,
It sure does :(

Their Iron, I couldn't believe it when I saw the white lines, Or the choppy way it looked in that area. I swear they dip them in paint to hide the blemishes. I called them for warranty today and they said they cover labor too "if it is in fact defective AND their fault" I am going to video a pressure test but you would have to be blind not to know what those white crusty lines and the additional pits mean. I have actually pulled the engine back out and stripped it down untill I realized it was being water injected Grrrrrr

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive got GLM manifold and riser on my boat (with Merc 135 hp).

I think (hope) they're OK but before I fitted them, there were areas in the inlet tracts where ther ewas still loads of sand sticking to the iron, losely painted over. All had to be be removed and the rest of the casting had several inclusions on the gasket faces (and god knows where else that I couldn't see.

Well its runnig OK at the moment and luckily in fresh water - not sure if Id go for them again though.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ive got GLM manifold and riser on my boat (with Merc 135 hp).

I think (hope) they're OK but before I fitted them, there were areas in the inlet tracts where ther ewas still loads of sand sticking to the iron, losely painted over. All had to be be removed and the rest of the casting had several inclusions on the gasket faces (and god knows where else that I couldn't see.

Well its runnig OK at the moment and luckily in fresh water - not sure if Id go for them again though.

Hey Simoniz,

They are probably fine, I just have a black cloud over my heat right now. the sand though does not make sense from what I have heard they are foam cast not sand.

Regards,
BIll

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

from what I have heard they are foam cast not sand.

Amazing what you can hear isn't it. You can't pour cast iron around a foam core. foam is used for a pattern and melted out. But it's still a sand mold. I doubt they could make them any other method for the price they sell them at.
(10 years in precision foundry)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Amazing what you can hear isn't it. You can't pour cast iron around a foam core. foam is used for a pattern and melted out. But it's still a sand mold. I doubt they could make them any other method for the price they sell them at.
(10 years in precision foundry)

I thank you for taking the wax out of my ears Don.

I actually called it flaws in the sand casting on my restore thread. A person at GLM corrected me when I spoke to them today telling them that all their paint covered up their bad sand casting and stated that it was a foam casting.
thinking now yep guess you can't pour molten metal into foam :eek:

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

those are indeed cracks and you better hope no water gets into your oil running with those cracks if they are internal in the manifolds. glm has started a new facility with better quality control because last years batches had some really disgusting products. i to have suffered having to exchange manifolds after a short run time on boat maybe 3-4 hours they cant get me new ones for another 3 months i was told, then i was told they dont even know when they will have the risers and manifolds available i was mad as hell and complained so they offered to replace with thier competitors manifolds seirra mfg. and reimburse the part house where im getting them from geez what a ***** to get er done i hope glm is truly steppin up thier products

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you guys now have me really scared, I just changed out manifolds to GLM and I am actually now getting water in the oil, I removed the heads and sent them to pressure test, but did not inspect the manifolds, thinking they are new, guess I need to go check out the manifolds too :-(
only casting problem I encountered was a partial blockage of a bolt hole which broke away easily. :(

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

you guys now have me really scared, I just changed out manifolds to GLM and I am actually now getting water in the oil, I removed the heads and sent them to pressure test, but did not inspect the manifolds, thinking they are new, guess I need to go check out the manifolds too :-(
only casting problem I encountered was a partial blockage of a bolt hole which broke away easily. :(

Sorry to hear that NoFuss
Inspect and pressure test them. I can see the cracks in mine as I showed in the pics. I am going to pressurize them and video it before shipping them back. That is if I ever get to call when the warrenty dept isn't out to lunch or stepped out for a min. I think the USA office in Cali only has 1 person that handles claims :confused: .

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also just put new GLM manifolds and risers on a merc 260. Gasket surfaces were flat, and everything fit well. I did have to send back one of the risers due to a water flow issue and the warranty folks were very nice and I had no problems contacting them. They told me the turn around rate for warranty parts was 2 to 3 weeks. I recieved the new riser 8 days after I shipped out the bad one. They may be cheaper parts but the service was great.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I also just put new GLM manifolds and risers on a merc 260. Gasket surfaces were flat, and everything fit well. I did have to send back one of the risers due to a water flow issue and the warranty folks were very nice and I had no problems contacting them. They told me the turn around rate for warranty parts was 2 to 3 weeks. I recieved the new riser 8 days after I shipped out the bad one. They may be cheaper parts but the service was great.

Glad to hear that about the turn around time and service you received from them
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Lately my time has been very limited to get in touch with them with the work I'm doing. I am going to try again tomorrow

Fun Times

Staff member

Check out this guy's story from another forum.:eek:

Misfiring thru carburator 220HP.5 liter
06/14/10 at 22:08:54
Last Octember went fishing in the gulf, manifolds filled port engine with salt water(hydra locked), we thought the starter was bad. By the time we were back in Memphis port engine was locked up, replaced engine. Starbord engine ran fine, but it injested a very small amountof salt water. Started
getting ready for spring fishing, now we have a back firing through the carburator 2000 3500RPM. After inspection, we pulled the heads had the values worked. put back on, with all new gaskets, set everything to specs per chevy and mercrusier. Backfired tru the carburator again. Pulled the haeds again, lapped the heads and values to a mirrow finsh, filled each chamber with gas all are holding no leaks.. Swapped heads. seams like our problem is with #8. Put engine back together. Backfired thru the carb., Checked pulg wires, Swapedstributor caps. Swapped modual, Swapped distributors still back fires thru Carb? This leaves Value springs, rockers and camshaft. It is a roller camshaft. I have just about pulled what little hair I have left our where do I go now???????????
Checked compression 150PSI cold, Shows 125 hot. I forgot to mention last year the water pump went out engine got pretty hot. Ran fine for 3 days after I replaced the water pump.

(The fix)
Re: Misfiring thru carburator 220HP.5 liter
Reply #2 - 06/15/10 at 23:37:55 FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pulled the new exhaust manifold, #8 is solid nothing can get thru. Cranked it without the manifold, ran great. Now I have a PROBLEM WITH
INTERNET SUPPLIER. GLM. after this post I am calling them.