Leaking Transom Bearing Plate

Spyder213

Cadet
I have a 1993 OMC Cobra 4.3. I just bought this boat. I noticed there was water coming in. Found it is coming in from the empty bottom hole of the Bearing plate. Can anyone Please inform me of what or where the issue may be? Or am I just missing the center lower bolt?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Leaking Transom Bearing Plate

Like right under the driveshaft, sign of leaking bellows

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Better to post a pic of what you have.
Bearing plate?
missing bolt?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Bt Doc, not sure what a bearing plate is.

Don S

THAT kind of a bearing plate. It acts like a big flat washer to support the load. Has nothing to do with bearings (as in roller or ball bearings).
If you have an open hole, you have a problem. Those are studs and obviously one has corroded away. Time to pull the drive the engine and the transom shield to replace that stud. Might want to check the transom as well. Rotten wood is what corrodes those studs away.

Spyder213

Cadet

Great!! Well thats one issue to get a better look at. I will have to get in there and see if it is corroded or missing. There was a few loose and missing other bolts on the motor. Poor Maintance on the previous owoners part. Now need to post about it not running. THANK YOU.

Don S

If you can't see it, you have a problem. the studs have a big lip that goes against the transom shield. They will NOT pull through the hole for the stud. It's either broken off, or corroded off. Doesn't matter, you still have to remove everything to get it fixed.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`m guessing but I think #23 goes here

Attachments

• xl_DSC08007.jpg
    xl_DSC08007.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 6

Spyder213

Cadet

Yes that picture is of the outdrive mounting to the boat haul. #23 is on the inside placed on the transom mount. If I look under my oil pan you see #23 and there is not a bolt or nut in the center hole, but there is water coming in from the hole. It comes in weather the boat is running or not. Does not get worse turning left or right, drive up or down. Like a cracked bellow. I would hate to tear it off and it be something cheesy.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

From here

Attachments

• xl_DSC08007.jpg
    xl_DSC08007.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3

Don S

Now I understand.
The center hole in the bearing plate is a drain hole so water doesn't sit on the transom and cause rot. Only the outside holes are for the studs and nuts..

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 4

Spyder213

Cadet

Ok, but where is the water geting in? If that hole is a drain to keep the haul from rotting. Then the rest of the bottom it filling up. Thanks so much for helping. This one has been a bugger. I just rid of a bat that had rotted stringers. To get a leaking one that does not ran as well. My luck.