Need a grease for my prop shaft.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Is there a good grease I can use on my prop shaft? Last spring I tried a anti seize lube and still took about a hour to get the prop off this past fall. I think if I would have left it on till this spring I would have had to use a blow torch to cut it off. I used a lube (just cant remember what it was) a couple of years ago. The prop would slide on and off at will. Any ideas? Thanks Mark<br />Just one more<br />V V V V V V V <br /> V V V V V V<br /> V V V V V<br /> V V V V <br /> V V V <br /> V V<br /> V

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Need a grease for my prop shaft.

Mark<br />I use OMC triple guard grease and change my prop about twice a year and prop comes right off. The grease looks just like when I put it on. On my kicker check every couple of years but it is still easy to remove the prop.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto on the OMC Tripleguard. Have used it for many years in salt water and prop slides right off. I only do mine once per year.

masterp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jack....It's righty tighty - lefty loosey. You must be a lefty! I was, but they changed me over in first grade. Now I'm a boatey!

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey F___in,<br /> Yeah I tried never seize and just cut off a 1000.00 set of stainless volvo wheels. After this and a lot of research I'm told the never seize has a chemical reation to saltwater, shaft and the materials that the hub is made of? So I, like the post above has ordered and rec. the Volvo <br />grease which is the same as OMC's triple guard. <br />It's funny this conversation came up this past weekend and my buddy had the same problem and switched over with his new set of wheels and they<br />slid right off this winter. (So I guess it works,<br />I'll know mid summer!)Let me see, $1000.00 set of wheels or $9.00 for grease? Oh how I wished I had asked this simple question a year ago.

shelbydriver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the main compound in Anti- sieze is lead. :eek:

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had good results with silicon (ballcock) grease in fresh water. Don't know about salt water. This stuff is great as an assembly lube on gaskets and drain plugs also. It is also inert so it is friendly to the fish.

dpminc

Seaman Apprentice

Merc recomends/used to recommend, Perfect Seal. This is a non hardening sealer. It seems to work well, It is non conductive, and seals water out of the splines, and will not wash out.