removing engine in 83 bayliner volo 4cyl

richkiefs

Recruit
thanks to everyone who hepled me get my motor problems fixed.now i have to pull it to fix the<br />rotten transom! lookslike the bolts that hold <br />the outdrive on are pulling there way threw <br />on the inside bottom were the drain plug is!<br />only had the boat since july of this year. <br />i was getting water from somewere inside the bildge by the drain plug.there was an 1/2<br />gap on the outside lower unit,which water was coming in.i have pulled a few car engines in my time,but never a boat engine.does it pull away from the drive unit after i disconnect all the wires? and,can i use a 600 pound winch to pull<br />it out?<br /><br />thanks much

Bondo

Staff member
Re: removing engine in 83 bayliner volo 4cyl

sorry to hear of your rot....<br />yes, it will pull away, but it's easier to pull the outdrive first... it's got to come off anyway... your 600lb. winch will be at it's upper most limits... a 1 or 2 ton come-along would be a better choice....<br /><br />after you remove/unhook the wires, there's still a few bolts also.....LOL......

11 footer

Lieutenant

I can't help ya, but sorry to here that. I was rideing in an outboard powerd bayliner (not my boat) and the transom was riped off the boat. It is not a good feeling, hope it all works out for you.<br /><br />11

KIEFER

Cadet

this engine has no motor mounts? why ? cheap way of doing things.seems like all the weight is on the transom. is there anything i should look for when i am taking out the motor? is there any oil in that bell housing thats going to spill out.<br />will i need any gaskets.thers a 2" gap between<br />the outside of the transom and the inside.the outside is not bad.im just saying ,why do i have to take the drive off? i think it would be better if i can email someone with pictures!then they can give me an idea.! i took this boat in a month after i got it and had all the seals replaced. 1,400 worth . he said they had to pull the motor!<br />dont you think they would have seen the rot?its a <br />big repair shop ! and they have been around for 50 years.it just tics me off i have dumped 1,400<br />in this thing already and i paid 3,000 for it. next time i will know what to look for!if theres a next time!ha!ha!<br /><br />rich!

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

I have an 84 Bayliner with the volvo 4 cyl. with a 270 outdrive. fortunately this boat has been very well taken care of .I havent found a boat half its age that is in such good shape.After reading your post I went out and looked at my transom and I cant see where it would be rotting from. I looked in the engine compartment and the back wall looked like fiberglass to me.You said the bolts are pulling through, I wonder if there is something that led to this problem other than neglect from previous owners.

SHelms8844

Cadet

I have an '84 Galaxy with a Volvo Penta AQ125 4 cyl. with a 270 out drive that I am also pulling because of a rotten transom,floor, and stringers. I have a Seloc manual that gives better than average instructions on pulling the motor and lower unit. If anyone would like I can scan the pages that show the instructions and email them out. Just let me know--email is scotthelms89@hotmail.com

KIEFER

Cadet

i know why mine is rotten.the person who owned it <br />before me never took the cover off to see there was water in the bildge. when i got it i never <br />pushed around the inside of the transom were the bolts were.i was a first time boat buyer! now i really know what to look for next time. i didnt really know it was rotten till a few months ago when i took the boat out and i had to turn the<br />pump on every 10 mins.the outside of the drive <br />on the bottom was a 1/2 away from the fiberglass<br />letting water in from the o-ring.well i said no big deal.as i took off the engine covers i noticed the bottom bolts pulled in a little. then i poked a round with my finger and found wet rotten wood<br />from the bottom bolts down.its dec 16th and the wood is still wet!my wife is going to kill me. i told her it was a good boat.ha!ha! i just put in 1400 for bearings just beforethis water thing happened !you would think the people that had to pull the engine would have seen this.well im going to try and fix it after x-mas.i really cant sell it like this.and i am not buying another one for awhile. the guy i got it from was moving and very honest with me.he showed me everything he had done to it.after i had the motor<br />and bearing problems fixed i went back to him and he gave me 800.00 back and said he had no idea anything like that was bad. i think he was being honest. he did not use the boat for 2 or 3 years. i had to pull all the old gas out and rebuild the carb. its so depressing when you have your wife a 9and 16 year old ready to go tubing and it wont start ,and its leakingwater!kidsdidnt care!wife!<br />well i threw her overboard! kidding! :D well almost :D

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

KIEFER,<br />I understand where you are coming from. Every boat I have owned I had to convince my wife it was a good deal.Then after buying it, really hope it was so I wouldnt have to hear how much I got screwed.There is always little quirks I have had to work out I didnt tell her about so I wouldnt have to hear about it.I would suggest coming up with a good story and cutting your losses.It does sound like the person you bought the boat from was honest or at least has a conscience.It may be that this person had no idea how to take care of the boat.Anyway, I know this is a bad way to get your feet wet with boating but dont let it discourage you if you really love the water! ;)

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any of you guys familiar with a tv show called "Ship Shape TV"? It used to be on Speedvision, and also appears on PBS.<br />There are I believe 2 episodes that show in very good detail how to replace a rotten transom. The episodes are available on tape, too.<br />Try http://www.shipshapetv.com <br />I miss not seeing it anymore. It covered a lot of good area's.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ya, coupe... I used to see it on sunday mornings [in the winter] used to giggle at how much that guy [Gruviskus?] could sweat....made me glad I didnt live in florida....

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, not in the Summer for sure, but right around this time of the year... :D

conimicut1

Seaman Apprentice

I have two comments<br /><br />I've pulled a few boat engines, an engine weighs around 5-600 lbs, add the manifolds and other stuff. Get something stronger. I had a neighbor comeover with a backhoe once, he pulled the engine OK. Another time trailered the boat to a local garage with an overhead hoist (once everthing was disconnected) that was very easy, I prefer the hoist. Also, remove the drive, its easy.<br /><br />I've never done transom repair, but there may be a second way and maybe no engine removal. There is this transom fill material that takes the place of the wood in the transom. You get a large drill bit and hog out all the wood between the outside and inside fiberglass. Then pour this stuff between them. Chjeck it out<br /> http://www.transomrepair.com/mainsctr.htm <br /><br />or check this site http://www.rotdoctor.com/glass/GLtransoms.html <br /><br />I also reccommend doing some more transom repair web searches before assumming you have to pull tyhe motor. Keep it simple skipper!

Bondo

Staff member

KEIFER,<br />IF you like to Putter,+ have abit of Mechanical ability, Get yourself a Manual for your drive/engine...... <br />I've repaired/ replaced several transoms,+ am about to start another(old OMC to Mercruiser).......<br />The outdrive Must come off, the engine Must come out,+ the transom assembly Must be removed, both inner,+ outer......when this is Done, you can See, Remove,+ Replace the Rotten wood.....<br />i reccommend using CDX plywood,+ Epoxy..... the "pour in place", or "putty it here" methods of transom repairs are a "Band-aid" approach at Best(damage as bad as you explain is Way Past the Band-aid)......<br />Unfortunately, this much work on a 20yr old boat is asking Alot..... this much work on a 20yr old Bayliner Maybe Too Much..... it Maybe time to cut your losses..... you might find a much Better hull, that is in need of your present power package......<br /><br />if you want to shoot a photo or two,(bondo@twcny.rr.com) i'll be glad to reassess what i see... but at this point i see the "worst case senario"......<br /><br />Good Luck... + we're all rootin for ya....

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Keifer,<br /> i got your email,+ pictures..... i Hate to say it,But i stand by my post above.... your boat has SERIOUS PROBLEMS...... i know you Think only the inermost wood is rotted, i wish you were right, But you're Not... the motor, outdrive,+ transom assembley MUST be removed..... i would replace the transom from the Inside, leaving the outer hull intact..... This transom is Way Past the "pour in place" kind of band-aids avaliable.... as stated before... it's Not an easy Job,+ maybe more than the boat is worth.... <br />What you May have here, is a perfectly good driveline for a boat you haven't found yet....<br />OR you could sell the parts off,+ recoupe the $$$$ spent for the boat....

KIEFER

Cadet

i will sell the parts ! i dont think its worth the headache trying to fix the transom.