• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Starter is good but boat wont turn over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter is good but boat wont turn over

Ok, I am not new to boats although i am somewhat new to engines, I am younger but I have been boating my whole life, and i have a basic knowledge of most boats. I have a 87 25.5 Century Mirada with a 305 chevy small block im pretty sure. It was my fathers boat but hasnt been in the water or started for about 3 years i dont think... he was about to start working on it again but he recently just passed away

The whole boat has electric power and the batteries are still putting out decent juice (going to replace both of them anyway) but when I turn the key to start the boat all i get is like a loud grinding kinda noise... really hard to explain.. i pulled the starter and had it looked at, its spinning perfect and the teeth are still in good shape... so i put the starter back on and cleaned the battery terminals (thinking it wasnt getting enough juice) but still the same noise... it does get any further then that what I turn the key, just a loud clicking/grinding noise... I already pulled the spark plugs so there isnt much compresssion. and i can also turn the engine with a rachet so this means its not seized up correct?

I remember my father telling me he didnt winterize the boat but he had a "heater" in the engine compartment on cold nights... but i think that was a lie...

how can i tell if the engine is junk or whats the next step to look for? hoping to get a mechanic to come out and look at it soon

Thanks guys -adam

Re: Starter is good but boat wont turn over

also here is a link to the boat

http://www.thesaltydog.com/search/viewListing60567.aspx

i would hate to scrap it, my father had all the interior just redone along with brand new interior in the cabin as well. boat looks incredible inside, just cant get this engine working.

Comment

It it grinding, almost like the sound of a skill saw cutting wood? If so, I'd say the starter, or flywheel have had it, or, the starter isn't shimmed correctly, or, the bendix is sitcking, not engaging the teeth...Know anyone who plays with smallblock chevies who can give you a hand?
      1998 Sea Ray 190BR
      4.3 MerCruiser I/O

2012 Ford SVT Raptor

1995 Sea Ray BR180
      4.3LX MerCruiser I/O
      "reliable red" Sold.

Comment

Originally posted by PS94 View Post
        It it grinding, almost like the sound of a skill saw cutting wood? If so, I'd say the starter, or flywheel have had it, or, the starter isn't shimmed correctly, or, the bendix is sitcking, not engaging the teeth...Know anyone who plays with smallblock chevies who can give you a hand?
        yea i thought it was the starter as well so i pulled it and had it looked it, he said the teeth still look good i guess it does kinda sound like a skill saw cutting wood.. almost like the teeth of the starter and flywheel are hitting together but the starter is not turning the flywheel its just rubbing together... hard to explain.

Comment

I remember my father telling me he didnt winterize the boat but he had a "heater" in the engine compartment on cold nights... but i think that was a lie...

Well, if it was a lie than the block is probably toast and the starter is just the tip of the iceberg, NJ had a relentless winter last year.
          '90 Chaparral 2000SL
          5.8 Cobra
          '67 MFG Westfield Regal
          80hp V-4
          (No private messages)

Comment

Sounds like your starter solenoid isn't engaging the starter drive to the flywheel. It only gets up against the edge of the flywheel and grinds. 1st verify your battery or batteries are up to snuff. Then if they are good, get the starter checked out &/or fixed or you risk killing the flywheel too. A starter can appear to be working when out of the boat even if it is not working correctly. The solenoid is supposed to shove the the starter drive gear into the flywheel at the same time as the starter motor begins to make rev's.
            It sounds like yours isn't.
            1989 Baja Sunsport 196, Mercruiser 5.7, Alpha 1
            Moultonborough Neck, Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

Comment

i had my boat mechanic look at it, said its definatly the batteries not giving the starter enough juice, said he heard it hundreds of times befor. so im gonna give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes

Comment

whats the verdict i seem to be in a similar situation and would love to know what happened?
                1996 Bayliner Capri 1950 CL
                3.0 LX Alpha One Gen. II
                14.25x21P

Comment

Working...
                X