Flywheel for an 898 mercruiser

wdknox

Seaman
I replace a 305 chevy with a 350 chevy engine and the starter does not ingage the flywheel. I think the fix would be to get a larger flywheel. Can someone tell me if a 14" flywheel will fit under the bell housing of a 1978 mercruiser 898?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Flywheel for an 898 mercruiser

I Think you'll find that chevy uses two flywheels... the 153tooth,+ the 168tooth.....if you use the 305 starter,+ flywheel, or the 350 starter,+ flywheel, it Should work....Or change to the other style starter... it's Easier than changing flywheels.....

wdknox

Seaman

bond-o,<br /> Thanks for the response!!!<br /> The problem I have is the block doesn't have the hole nearest the oil pan for the starter that is used with the 152 tooth flywheel. I guess have two options, replace the flywheel or drill and tap a hole for the original starter that is used for the smaller flywheel.<br /> If I change the flywheel would I be able to use an automotive type flywheel or does it have to be a marine flywheel?

Bondo

Staff member

Well Tex,<br />Ya, you can use an chevy flexplate, but it's drilled for an A/T torqueconverter, Not the Merc. engine coupler......<br />i've never run into this before... i Know it will fit, but i don't know which application(Mercruiser) to rob the parts from..... <br />are we talking 1 pc or 2 pc rear main seal blocks ???<br />Which style engine coupler are you using ?? you Maybe able to go to a Crank mounted coupler....

wdknox

Seaman

I broke down and pulled the motor. Drilled and taped a hole for the original starter. It seemed like the easiest way to go. Motor is back in the boat and I'm putting the the puzzle back togather. <br /> Thanks for the replies

Bondo

Staff member

KEWL............<br /><br />Best Of LUCK.......