Gimbal Bearing & grease seal installation

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am ready to start putting this thing back together and want to be sure that I do it completely right. The grease seal is installed with which side facing the engine? Also, the gimbal bearing is installed with the side with the two notches facing in towards the engine right? I have the manual already but it is vague in several areas so I decided to ask.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gimbal Bearing & grease seal installation

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=251571

Download manual #6, then look at section 4. Should answer your questions now and later.

Don, I have the manual. Section 4A-13 It doesn't say or show which direction the grease seal should go in. It just say's and I quote "Install grease seal as shown." The picture is on edge so I can only guess which way it goes in. That is why I came here to ask.

I see the answer to the gimbal bearing installation question but I am still at a loss as to how the grease seal goes in.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Never seen one, but generally the lip of the seal should be toward the grease (keeps the grease in) side. Sorry that is not much help.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

I was doing some reading because I have a mystery gimbal problem and I've seen it said that the lip faces the drive to hold in the oil, another giuy does it the other way to keep water from coming in..
I may do it for the water, I could care less about the grease, can't be much that comes out.
Maybe someone else will confirm.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never seen one, but generally the lip of the seal should be toward the grease (keeps the grease in) side. Sorry that is not much help.

Thanks, at least you tried to help. Getting help around here is like pulling teeth. No one wants to answer any questions. The time it takes to refer someone to a manual you could just type the answer especially when I made it clear in the beginning that I already had the manual. Having the manual and being able to interpret it are two seperate things. I will do a google search and see if I can find a better illustration of how it should go online.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I was doing some reading because I have a mystery gimbal problem and I've seen it said that the lip faces the drive to hold in the oil, another giuy does it the other way to keep water from coming in..
I may do it for the water, I could care less about the grease, can't be much that comes out.
Maybe someone else will confirm.

Hmmmmm..... If he is worried about water coming in through the gimbal bearing grease seal he has bigger problems than that:eek::D.

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, at least you tried to help. Getting help around here is like pulling teeth. No one wants to answer any questions.

You already asked this same question a couple of days ago in another thread and I told you how I installed mine :-

I just installed mine with a piece of 2" plastic pipe (2-3/8"o/d) which just fits nicely inside the lip.

Nice attitude you've got there. Good luck getting more help.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Just a thought, if you have one of the new permalube (no grease fitting) bearings, there is not going to be any grease in there anyway.:confused:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You already asked this same question a couple of days ago in another thread and I told you how I installed mine :-

He is not asking how to install the seal, he is asking which side (of the seal) faces the gimbal bearing.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice attitude you've got there. Good luck getting more help.

That is the problem, I haven't gotten the help that I have asked for. That is the purpose of this forum isn't it? You can go to almost any post and no matter what the question the answer is always "Download such and such manual". Like I said from the onset, I have the manual ALREADY. So telling me to download it again isn't going to help me any. Furthermore, like I said, the time spent pointing me in the direction of the manual could've been used just as well by aswering my question. So if you consider that as having an attitude then that just means that you have a superiority complex.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

He is not asking how to install the seal, he is asking which side (of the seal) faces the gimbal bearing.

THANK YOU!!! Finally someone who gets it.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it's in. Can't say if it's in correct or not but it's in. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• 002 [640x480].JPG
    002 [640x480].JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 7

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Looks good. I think that seal is mostly to keep things clean (on both sides) rather than contain lubricant under pressure, so should be OK either way.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I don't read every post so hadn't seen yours until now. As far as I can tell the seal has never been out of my drive. The face of the seal (pretty side) is facing the gimbal bearing. It looks like yours is in the same way.

I really think the problem is not that nobody wants to help it's that they want to get as many manuals in as many hands as possible and help them to understand that "all" answers are in the manual. That I am sure will pay off in the long run for all concerned.

The other problem is that many read a post and don't quite get the point! I am undecided if it is because of the reader or the writer in those cases.....I have seen plenty of both....hope this has helped some...

Hope the rest of the reconstruction goes trouble free....

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He didn't ask that in the other thread. He asked what held the seal in.

I just installed mine with a piece of 2" plastic pipe (2-3/8"o/d) which just fits nicely inside the lip.

I dunno, but if I say that the pipe fits inside the lip, doesn't that indicate that the lip is towards the pipe and therefore towards the person hammering on the pipe, ie. facing aft?

The manual shows the lip facing aft too although I doubt it matters much anyway with the new gimbal bearings.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

He didn't ask that in the other thread. He asked what held the seal in.

Hence, that is why I started a new thread, I had a NEW QUESTION. Why is the attitude of everyone so condescending? Why is it so hard to just say what you just said? The seal is installed with the lip facing the bearing. End of thread, question answered, move on to something else. Instead it's easier to make rude remarks and try to make the OP feel like an idiot because he asked a question on a forum who's sole purpose is to provide answers.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I took the bearing out of the freezer and installed it slotted side facing in towards the engine. I read on Mercstuff.com that it should be the other way to facilitate turning it sideways to remove it but I followed the instructions in the manual. Tomorrow I will grease the bearing and start putting other stuff back on and changing the shift cable. I inserted my alignment tool and it went straight it and came straight out. Spline marks in the grease evenly around the entire shaft. Looks perfect to me.