installing water shutter in Merc 120

trm

Seaman
Setup: '68 Mercruiser Pre-Alpha (SN 2361794) and 120 Chev 153 (SN 2420015)<br /><br />Discovered water and exhaust leaking from exhaust bellows (PN 45597A 1) and suspect that water in bilge caused by this. The new water shutter and mounting flange are in hand. Can someone tell me how this flange and shutter is mounted inside the bellows where the bellows meet the lower pipe? Repair manual silent on this subject. Can get to the 4 hose clamps easily, but from that point on I'm lost.<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br /><br />Swabbie

Trent

Captain
Re: installing water shutter in Merc 120

Shutter (41) is mounted to the support bracket (34). No big deal really.
A6.png

trm

Seaman

Thanks for the picture, it's the one I ordered the parts from. Yeah, it sounds easy to someone who has probably done it a million times. Now, for a weekend mechanic, how do you mount the shutter bracket INSIDE of the hose? Unfortunately it's not a tab a into slot a situation:)<br /><br />TIA for you additional insight.<br /><br />swabbie

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

part 41 goes in part 33<br />The part u should be replacing is not pictured.<br />it covers parts 10 - 13. part 41 stops water from backwashing into the motor cylinder head.<br />Part 24 if split can also alow water into the boat.<br />good luck<br />corm