rebuild instructions for pre-alpha hydraulic trim pump

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: rebuild instructions for pre-alpha hydraulic trim pump

The warm weather is kicking in where you are. Plenty of good used units around, check E-bay or your local boat yards.To me, thats your fastest, easyest way to get back on the water.
What exactly is wrong, mabey the guys here can help out. Go to the sticky and download the manual and have a look--its pretty involved if u ask me.
Chris

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A bit vague in your discription of your pump.

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1975 I6 165 HP Trim Pump very bad photo attached

Symtom: High amount of fluid came out when activating pump. Black house is new and checked. looking back at it now, it would have made sense to put a mirror under pump and test to isolate leak. I did not, thinking I would find the leak upon removal. There are three holes at the bottom, One had a black hose, threaded line. The second was on a copper fitting and was a plastic hose. There was a third hole and nothing was in there and I am thinking that was some type of return.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/rocket1968/pump.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

As I recall, there is only 2 lines on those pumps. Is it your original pump, or is this a replacement you picked up?

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the original, and there were only two connected and when I replaced the black line two years ago I think there was only two. If that is true, what is the the third unthreaded whole for and why would fluid leak from there?

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and sorry for using whole instead of hole, I am not a fan of misppellings that occur on forums.

haulnazz15

Captain

One of those holes ins't a "hole". It's hard to understand but there are no threads in the casting and it doesn't go into the housing. I spent 15 minutes one time trying to thread a hydraulic line into a spot that had no threads and didn't even have an opening despit it looking that way from the side. I had to remove the pump from the floor to discover that, lol.

Should just have one of the braided lines and the plastic line that runs up to the trim sender.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The valve body has "O" rings for sealing.

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class
pictures help-here is the info

pictures help-here is the info

EDIT: RESIZE PICTURE TO 640W Max.

Connections: One at the brass elbow next to the non threaded hole and the other on the other side, which is the up or higher pressure hose. I did not see where it was leaking from, but I would have to bet it is the hole next to the brass elbow? Is that like a weep hole similar to water pumps, i.e. it leaks early and you know you need to replace?

If it is leaking from there, is this an easy rebuild? I would like to go the rebuild route since this motor looks in better shape than a used one and if I rebuild I know what I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also have one of these pumps...1977 Starcraft Capri. I had trim problems (long story about a sand bar) and fought with it for about 1 year cause I was so new to all of this.
It's a Prestolite pump. looks in fairly good shape. On the bottom there is a "dog bone" held on by 4 bolts. One of the hoses connects through this dog bone. If you take it off of the pump you'll find 3 o-rings.
I blew one of these o-rings and it leaked from the side of the dog bone where it mounts to the bottom. since the o-rings are centered the leaking fluid can go in just about any direction but more than likely it will leak from the side where the o-ring is ripped/damaged.

There are only 2 hoses. one (I think is high pressure side) goes down to transom...other comes from reverse lock (on shift plate , low pressure side)

I do see other "holes...not threaded" that do nothing. I bought the bottom end on ebay for $75 since my motor was good. I received the reservoir and everything below it for this price.

It turns out the reason I blew the o-ring is that the reverse lock adjustment moved (sand bar I think) and the reverse lock would not let my drive go up. Down worked fine but up strained the pump and barely moved the drive. I left the up switch on too long and pow o-ring blows out the side of dog bone, it was hard to trace cause it leaked somewhere different every time.
Hope this helps,
Sean

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yep, that's the dog bone...

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off, thanks for the reply, I will be opening this up tonight and was give then schematics earlier today. So if it was just the o-rings, why not replace these instead of buying new bottom? I am checking to see if I missread your post, but was there damage due to the leak or a leak was caused by damage?

Any recommendations on where to pick up the o-rings?

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Plus I am sure I will need a gasket or two.

Don S

Here is what your picture should look like at 640 Wide.

attachment.php

Attachments

• resizedpump.jpg
    resizedpump.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 5

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After hitting a sand bar (depth finder malfunctioning, bow queen wasn't watching :D) the second time I ever drove my new old boat (my first boat ever) on vacation several things happened...leaking trim cylinder first, couldn't patch it or afford replacement, so a "boat mechanic" in Ocean City said to just use brake line plugs at the dist. block on transom to eliminate that cylinder...boat will trim fine with one cylinder...this worked for 30 seconds on trailer. After running up and down twice things working so far but third time going up "blam" ! loud pop and fluid spraying violently by trim pump...I think I just blew the line...last day of vaca so I leave it be and spend time with family.

Once I get it home I order hoses and 2 trim cylinders on ebay (originals were old and corroded) guy said he has pump also for $75...that it will probably go soon also. I figured for $300 replace the whole system for insurance. After installing everything, now no leak but trouble going up.

I read, read and read some more (thanks Don for the manual) I discover the majic o-rings. Soooo just to be curious I replace the o-ring in my old pump, reinstall old pump (they sell kits on mercstuff.com $15 or so for all gaskets/ o-rings) put the drive in forward (not running) to make the reverse lock position change on shift plate and presto everything works great! Now I have 2 complete pumps.

Here's the short answer...I believe you can get an o-ring (if yours is indeed blown) either from mercstuff OR maybe from a local hardware store (take yours to match) and your back in business after 5 minutes it takes to remove dog bone and replace o-ring and the .50 cost for the o-rings. It may not hurt to take reservoir off and clean out and there's a screen under the metal cylinder that could use cleaning, also not hard to do.

From what I've read and seen here I DO NOT recommend rebuilding...lots of small PITA parts to lose or reinstall incorrectly, not worth $75 for the trouble.

Wish I knew all this a year ago but welcome to boating! Thanks to all who've helped me here, I'm quickly understanding the workings of my new hobby.

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also..from the photo it looks like one of the screwholes on the corner was filled in, it may leak from the reservoir (not sure) without that screw being tightened on the corner...

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks a bunch for your help: when I stated reubuild, repair might be the better statement. Can I pull the dogbone, replace o-rings and reinstall? What manual are you referring to that Don sent? I have a prestolite rebuild info. but not the manual.

As a somewhat decent backyard mechanic, I have a snap on container of various o-rings, are marine o-rings any different? I would think not since handling 10-30W oil or similar.

I would assume there is a dogbone basket, correct?

This boat is on its last legs and my goal is to get one more year out of it and do not want to put any $$ into it. (but then again I might say that next year)

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes on replacing the o-rings...
not sure differences between "marine" o-rings but mine works fine so far.

no dogbone gasket...o-rings seal the mated surfaces. It can't be easier to replace them. I did all my work while the pump was still mounted.

If you pull it apart easy the long thin square gasket can be reused.

The manuals are located at the top of the homepage for this forum, I use manual #2 since I have a 1977 Starcraft.

Be careful though...once you dig into the manual you'll start to find the solutions to all the problems to those little quirks that can be fixed and so the obsession begins...LOL

I've gone from just need old boat to take the family out a couple times fishing and boating to I want to completely restore this old girl and make her sweet...that's why we call her "Sweetness"

Good Luck
Sean