alternator belt change 1978 140 OMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calabogieboy

Recruit
Anyone have experience changing this belt? I'm not sure if it's the belt or the alternator itself but according to my ampmeter gauge the battery is not being charged, the belt does not seem tight enough and the alternator is at the maximum adgustment so I thoght I would try changing the belt first but it appears that a mount of some sort will have to be removed in order to get the belt off/on before I start guessing I thought I'd pass it by the experts first. Ant suggestions?

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: alternator belt change 1978 140 OMC

have u had the alt. tested to see if it'd bad? i would do that first before i started messing around with motor mounts.

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am not looking at it but it is relativly simple. Remove engine cover, loosen "alt", remove two mount bolts on "carb" side on engine, remove the "spacer" which attaches to motor mount & engine block, install new belt & the do the reverse. It is not hard & takes about fifteen minutes. Most likely the problem as this engine & outdrive require/use a lot of voltage to operate.<br /><br />Good Luck.<br /><br /> ;)

adrew

Seaman Apprentice

while your at it put a second belt there and secure it out of the way with bailing wire. you will have an instant backup in case of a belt failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.