oil pressure sending unit problem

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys i got a new oil pressure sender unit and went to install today.
I got the quicksilver one that I believe is the correct one ill have to check again but im fairly sure its correct.
heres the problem: when i go to thread the new one into the block it is to close to thread into the block -do they make an extensionor adapter coupler or something i really - I dont have an alarm oil sensor. whats the story on this, anyone have any ideas?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: oil pressure sending unit problem

Hey guys i got a new oil pressure sender unit and went to install today.
I got the quicksilver one that I believe is the correct one ill have to check again but im fairly sure its correct.
heres the problem: when i go to thread the new one into the block it is to close to thread into the block -do they make an extensionor adapter coupler or something i really - I dont have an alarm oil sensor. whats the story on this, anyone have any ideas?

My 3.0L (2005) has a fitting that goes into the block, and the sender unit then screws into the fitting. The reason that I know this is when I added the plumbing for the additional oil pressure switch, and I removed my sender unit, the fitting came out with it. The pipe thread on my sender is the same as on the fitting, so I could probably screw the sender straight into the block...but I would have the clearance problem that you seem to be describing.

I will see if I can find a parts diagram that shows this fitting....

Happy boating!

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks rocky road im going to keep searchin. I just found your thread when you were doing your oil alarm. Ok I have some questions for you. Did you go with the original alarm you photod in the thread or did you buy the one don s suggested?
How is your setup working by the way? cant find the tee part number or that diagram anywhere.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks rocky road im going to keep searchin. I just found your thread when you were doing your oil alarm. Ok I have some questions for you. Did you go with the original alarm you photod in the thread or did you buy the one don s suggested?
How is your setup working by the way? cant find the tee part number or that diagram anywhere.

I don't remember what DonS suggested, but I used the OEM Mercruiser oil pressure switch to keep things as original as I could. The buzzer, and the wiring, were already in my wire bundle.

The tee was easy to get at NAPA, and I used one of NAPA's brass nipples to move the tee away from the block. THAT WAS A MAJOR MISTAKE...since the brass nipple cracked within 3 hours of run time, and I didn't find this out until I was flushing out the motor. I had lost over 3 quarts of oil into the bilge, but never lost any real oil pressure nor hurt the engine. I immediately replace the stand-off nipple with a stainless steel one. My guess as to why the brass one failed is either I overtightened it, or the weight of both sending units caused it to flex and fatigue crack....

The alarm system now covers all three areas: oil pressure, water temp, and drive lube. It is working great, and I welcome the buzzer telling me all is well before the engine builds up oil pressure. I occassionally test the system by using the kill lanyard to stop the engine (this leaves the key in the "RUN" position), and I always get the alarm within several seconds of the engine stopping.

Here is my current oil unit(s) setup...!

262pkxk.jpg

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Rocky Road

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to be of any help!

Point me to the alarm thread you saw, and I will look at it and PM you about anything that I did differently. I am a firm believer in having the alarm working as advertised, and can probably help you get yours figured out.

Happy boating!

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont worry about it Im ok, i think, right now. sending unit is taking a back seat to getting the entire engine bolted together - I got a lot of little things to do and a few big ones.