• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

outdrive install...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outdrive install...

so i have a 87 wellcraft with a 470 merc engine with a se106 outdrive, i replaced the gimbal bearing and now im trying to install the outdrive, i know it is tight, i rotated the prop and the shaft slid into the motor and went on aout another inch but i can get it to the point where the threads on the studs are inside the outdrive holes but then it stops. tried tapping on it with a rubber hammer alittle but didnt wanna budge. oh yea. the 2 grooves on the drive shaft, are those supposed to have o rings in them? or no... is it normal for it to be this tight? any tricks? THANX for any help!!! this forum is a life saver.

Re: outdrive install...

The 'o' ring grooves should have 'o' rings in them.... They are normally tight, especially with new 'o' rings on. I use a size 11 installation tool... (my right boot)

Chris......
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

Installing a new bearing needs to be aligned with the coupler using the alignment bar
      The bearing swivels in the race and you move it around with the bar checking the alignment.
      Once the bar slips in easily ,your good to go.
      NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

+1
        Sounds like the bearing needs to be aligned. Grease the end of the alignment tool, where the grease is pushed off is where its too tight. The tool should slide in/out of the coupler fairly easily.
        1978 Glastron/Carlson CV23
        429/Berkeley JE

Comment

Maybe you guys ^^^ didn't see this...

Originally posted by nrob84 View Post
          ... i rotated the prop and the shaft slid into the motor and went on about another inch ....
          The bearing's ok... He's up against the 'o' rings....

Chris........
          The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
          2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
          Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
          Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

well i tried kicking it a few times, hmmm not budging, im gonna try alittle more, but it is 10:30 im sure my neighbor hates me by now.. if i cant get it in the next few times im gonna pick up the tool from a friend in the morning and double check the alignment... damn things bustin my balls....

Comment

When everything is correct you will be able to push it on to within a 1/8 inch.
              no kicking, No 6x6 posts, No car bumper, etc.
              NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

You did check the alignment first right?
                1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                "Common sense is not very common"
                "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

i didnt personally because i ordered a tool and it wont be here till next mon... so i had a friend who works on boats for a living check it on his lunch break today and he said it was good... however i am convinced he just didnt wanna adjust it cuz it does NOT go in... damn thing made me break a sweat. sooo im going to pick up the tool tomorrow morning and check it for myself.... just goes to show you, if you want something done right do it yourself...

Comment

Yea, if the good ol' MerKick don't do it something is amiss.
                    When will people learn that impellers require regular
                    replacement and are not drive it till it pukes items?

1984 Regal Medallion 195
                    3.8 V-6 with the dreaded
                    OMC Stringer Drive.
                    2003 Avalanche w/Hypertech

If it ain't fixable - don't break it!

Comment

Even if it does go in, it doesn't mean the alignment is good. It means that it might be close but you are going to have more chance of ruining the coupler.
                      1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                      Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                      Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                      "Common sense is not very common"
                      "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

dont rush it or you will be pulling engine to replace coupler, so get the bar and align, it will take longer the 5 min.
                        1973 Starcraft Supersport
                        120 mercruiser 153c.i.

Comment

had this prob a few weeks ago--i did use an alignment tool and still had a prob. where you hang up is a function of which o-ring is sticking. i've now had it hang on both the first and second o-rings. take both the o-rings off and re-install. it should then go on easily. also make sure you're not catching on the shift fork. if all is well, as chris says, proceed with mercruiser special tool #11.
                          '86 Glastron Conroy X-19, Merc 170
                          '04 Carolina Skiff J14, 25 hp Mercury
                          sigpic

Comment

thank you for all your input, i did get the tool, checked the alignment for myself, figures, its close but off a bit, sooo i adjusted the motor till it slid in REAL easy and the grooves were good. as you all said i put the out drive on, rotated the prop to align the splines, then gave it a little "merkick" and WOW its on... finished up a few things and WENT FISHING!!! didnt catch a whole lot, few skate and scup. and a few ice cold cans of beer... but anyway seems good now. thanks for ALL your help. got another question but that is for another post. see you all there!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X