• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Replacing Mercruiser Water Pick Up Hose

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Mercruiser Water Pick Up Hose

Mercruiser 1998 V8 5.0 - I want to replace the water pick up hose on my mercruiser - can someone point me to a picture where this is located or tell me? Is this something that is easy to do - eg, I am not a mercruiser mechanic just a regular guy with basic mechanical skills.

Re: Replacing Mercruiser Water Pick Up Hose

The OEM service manual for your particular drive details how to change it, but I really have to ask WHY you want to change it when you don't even know what it is or where it's located? Also, what kind of outdrive is it?
    There are OEM service manuals for download at the link below
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=251571
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I could not find the manual for the alpha one engine itself 1998, only one for the outdrive/transom. Do you have a specific link to the manual for me?

It was recommended on this forum that to correct a high temp problem at slow trolling speeds to replace the water pick up hose which tends to kink over time, and to replace the elbows/risers. Already replaced the impellor.

Comment

It was recommended on this forum that to correct a high temp problem at slow trolling speeds to replace the water pick up hose which tends to kink over time, and to replace the elbows/risers. Already replaced the impellor.
        You don't seem to quite understand the concept. This forum makes all kinds of suggestions, some are right some are wrong. What you have to do is find out exactly what is wrong with your engine and drive and not fix what is wrong with others. All that does is costs you a lot of money for replacing parts that aren't the problem.

As far as engine manual, well, that depends on what engine you have.
        You might want to read this thread before you go any further.
        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=220416
        Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
        That is what the forums are for.
        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyt22 View Post
          I could not find the manual for the alpha one engine itself 1998, only one for the outdrive/transom. Do you have a specific link to the manual for me?
          Alpha-1 is the outdrive (part hanging off back of the boat)

You engine (part inside boat) can be various different models. 3.0 liter inline 4, 4.3 liter V-6, 5.0 or 5.7 liter V-8's.

There is a water hose in the transom assembly for the Apha-1 Outdrive. You will also have water hoses inside the boat, the locations and function depends on the engine you have and if it is freshwater cooled or raw water cooled.
          20' Suntracker Pontoon

Comment

My engine is a 5.0. I called Mercruiser and here is the water pick up hose part number: 32-96246A4. Now friends, back to my question, does anyone have a picture of where this hose is located? It supposadly connects from the main engine to the transome.

Comment

Since you just want to throw parts at it instead of diagnosing, my suggestion would be to go out to the boat and look in the transom assebly.
              The last time religion controlled the world it was known as the Dark Ages

Comment

It is pictured in the alpha 1 documentation. It goes from the forward facing inside of the drive to a barbed fitting on the transom assembly. It is a huge pain in the derriere to do the 1st time. I know... I changed the one on my 89 last year due to cracks and kinks. I wrestled with that thing for a while. It might have been harder for me though because I have oversized hands. The hose length is very important to keep it the correct shape.
                But even more important is the advice you already received.
                If you go through the diagnostic process you may be able to save hours of time.
                The hose is nothing more than good quality automotive heater hose, it is no high tech stuff. It's just a tough piece to install.

Your smart move is to go the the adults only section in "Mercruiser & other I/O engines and drives" where you can get a link to a free download of the alpha 1 manual from Mercruiser. It goes into every possible detail. Including a process you can follow pretty easily to confirm water flow using a clear hose.
                1989 Baja Sunsport 196, Mercruiser 5.7, Alpha 1
                Moultonborough Neck, Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

Comment

have a good look on you ;www.youtube.com ,mercruiser and most engines are shown in picture form and general maintenance procedures with video capture.will be helpful for most basic maintenance.
                  if your having trouble cooling engine unless your pipe has a gaping hole in it, the trouble probably lies at the impellor in lower leg hanging out the back of your boat. find your problem first then ask for further help.

Comment

Well I just bought the various parts and here is what I'm going to do - I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I will replace all the water hoses because I don't think they have every been replaced since 1994. Going to replace the thermostadt. Going to replace the Riser gaskets.

Comment

how was the impeller when you replaced it, was missing any parts, what about the thermostat housing and the termostat, like they say just dont trow parts, you probably will keep having the same problem...

Comment

What issue are you having that points you to the pickup hose? Is it visually leaking/pouring water from it while running on the muffs? On an Alpha 1 Gen1 it runs around the left side of the gimbal ring, tight against the transom housing.
                        1978 Glastron/Carlson CV23
                        429/Berkeley JE

Comment

Here are the results - I replaced the old thermostadt and all the water hoses. The risers and gaskets seemed fine - no leakage and no dirty discharge when the hoses were removed - so left them alone. Put the old thermostadt in hot water and it never opened up.

Anyway, took the boat out and at very slow trolling speeds it stayed cool most of the time. It did still heat up to 200 degrees every once in a while, but cooled down quicker and stayed cool longer, when I reved the engine up in neutral or went faster. So still not perfect.

So you can see that the engine still seems to be heating up more than it should. Someone mentioned that the radiator hot water sensor may be bad, so I'm going to replace that next and see what happens.

Comment

The risers and gaskets seemed fine - no leakage and no dirty discharge when the hoses were removed - so left them alone.
                            Ayuh,... If you don't pull the Risers, you can't see how Plugged up they are....
                            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

I did pull one of the Risers, clean as a whistle.

Comment

Working...
                              X