Mercruiser 5.7 MPI - Check Engine Code Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenmile

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all,

Been a frequent lurker on this forum but thought I would ask my first question. I have a 2002 Mercruiser 5.7L MPI Horizon engine. I've recently installed a new Mercmonitor onboard to provide engine monitoring data. First thing I've noticed after the installation, is that the unit is reporting a "check engine" alarm. Because the engine is the older generation, the Mercmonitor does not provide the detailed text description of the engine fault.

I *think* this check engine code is related to an alternator failure I had recently. Alternator packed it in and ran the battery down before I could get back to the dock. I think the code is a "low voltage" code that has been stored and needs to be reset.

Is there any way to manually reset the code without having to take the boat to a service location? All engine gauges report normal -- no alarms and the boat is running 100% now that the alternator has been fixed.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 5.7 MPI - Check Engine Code Reset

You will want to call rinda technologies and talk to them about the codemate tool they have for sale, Even though it's been a while now since I have seen this tool, I believe this tool also clears codes. (Not sure on that right now) But worth a call to find out. The guys at rinda technologies are very nice and helpful.:)

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

Also if the problem has been fixed, Then normaly the ECM will clear it's self after a certain amount of key ups, The rinda guys may know a little more about how many key ups it takes, That is if no one else chimes in here that may remember how many key ups it is for this engine.
Hope this helps, Good luck with it.:)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I donno about Merc's 'puters, but like About Any other 'puter,...
Unhook the Power for a few minutes will clear codes...

tenmile

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the link. I've looked at the Rinda tool before. I don't think the codemate can actually reset the code -- it just provides the flashing lights that lets you read the code detail. I have sent them an email to see if they might have a consumer grade version of their PC tool available to allow users to read codes. I've seen this tool priced in the past and I think it's close to $800 which is a little steep for a weekend warrior.

I did try disconnecting the battery for >1hr and it didn't remove the code. Someone had mentioned to me in another forum that the 555 ECU will store the fault until it's cleared.

Then again, this check engine code may be an active code. I've now restarted the boat probably 30-40 times since replacing the alternator so I'd guess the code would have cleared by then if it does it via key-ons.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't need all the fancy software for a laptop and all that goes with it.
The scan tool can tell you everything you need to know, and do all the tests at half the price, and you can read it when the suns out.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

MercTool3.gif

tenmile

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I've confirmed that the Code Mate will not work:

Compatible with MEFI-1 thru MEFI-4 marine
EFI systems. CodeMate serves as an EFI fault
code indicator and a base timing service tool.
CodeMate flashes fault code sequences on its
built-in malfunction indicator lamp and also
allows base spark advance to be set when used
with a timing light.

This tool is not for use with MEFI-5,
MerCruiser PCM-555, ECM-555, Volvo EGC
or other marine EFI systems.

The Rinda tools look very good, but they are priced beyond what I'd consider a limited use type of application. The handheld tool is $399 (plus $40 for an adapter) -- or their PC software/cable is $570. Easier to swallow for a shop that would get more use out of it -- but I'm thinking this is the sort of tool I'd use 1-2x per year max.

Looks like OBD Diagnostics has a Scan tool that is PC based at $195 -- I've written them to find out if this tool can reset codes and will see what they say.

Don S

Looks like OBD Diagnostics has a Scan tool that is PC based at $195

They do not work on marine engines. Rinda is the only ones that I know of that makes diagnostic tools for marine applications.

Fun Times

Staff member

Below is some information about Sticky and non sticky faults.

All faults are classified as either Sticky or non-Sticky.

Sticky means that the fault, once set, will continue to show up as active, even if the circuit or problem has corrected itself. A key switch cycle is required to reset a Sticky fault.

A non-Sticky fault is a fault that will change it's status from active to inactive without requiring a key switch cycle.

The CDS diagnostic tool will continue to display a Sticky fault as active even though the cause of the fault has been corrected. Cycle the Key to reset all faults if there is difficulty correcting a fault.

Also here is one other way that I found that might clear up a fault that you could try out if you would like to, See Note below.

NOTE: On models with the trim with key off feature, The control handle must be placed in full reverse "WOT" after cycling the key switch to reset a sticky fault.

(FYI) I was kind of right, Because if you would have had an older engine that uses the MEFI-1 thru MEFI-4 marine EFI systems, Then the information below is how you would be able to do it with the CodeMate tool.

CLEARING CODES USING DIAGNOSTIC CODE
TOOL (NON-SCAN)
1. Install diagnostic code tool.
2. Turn key ON.
3. Select service mode on code tool.
4. To clear codes, move the throttle, while in neutral,
from 0% to 100% then back to 0%.
5. Exit ?Service Mode? on code tool.
6. Start engine and let run for fifteen seconds.
7. Turn key OFF for 5 seconds.
8. Select ?Service Mode? on code tool.
9. Turn key ON and read codes. If codes are still
present, check note following and repeat from
Step 1.
10. Refer to appropriate Troubleshooting and/or
Diagnostic Charts
A poorly charged battery or engine cranking problem
may result in an ECM ?reset? and may not allow
stored trouble codes to be cleared from EEPROM
memory. If this condition exists, BE SURE the battery
is fully charged.
NOTE: If a low battery condition does exists the audio
warning buzzer will come on for 2 seconds after
engine start-up.

tenmile

Seaman Apprentice

Got it cleared today by a local tech with his laptop tool. The Check Engine code was indeed left over from when my alternator packed it in. The Engine Guardian had kicked in so the actual code was an Over-Rev code (actual engine RPM was only 2900 at the time). Good to know it was nothing serious -- everything else checked out fine.

IM Buddy8

Seaman Apprentice

Got it cleared today by a local tech with his laptop tool. The Check Engine code was indeed left over from when my alternator packed it in. The Engine Guardian had kicked in so the actual code was an Over-Rev code (actual engine RPM was only 2900 at the time). Good to know it was nothing serious -- everything else checked out fine.

Hi Terry, do you remember if it would let you rev it over 2900 RPM's in neutral? I just rebuilt the top end (from head gaskets up) on my Mercruiser 5.0 and it idles perfectly, power feels normal in low and mid end, but it won't get on a plane. I'm hoping it's just a code potentially even overrev code because when it first started it revved quite high because we had to give it throttle the first start after rebuild. Now it starts in a short blip of the key but we can't get on plane.. Curious if there is a way to clear the code without the scanner.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you have about 3 hours into clearing this code. Get the RInda tool. I have one and LOVE it. I saw misfires before a code was ever thrown. I Popped plug wires off and back on zero misfires. I noticed on my engine to clear the code i had to go to history and clear if I just want to codes they didn't clear. I also read to clear codes cycle ignition switch on and off 3 times without starting. haven't tried it. By the way if you ever sale your boat you can recoup 80% of what the Rinda cost by selling on eBay. I love people pay $$ for monthly cell phone plans, cable TV, expensive dinners then when it comes to a useable tool not enough use to justify and mooch off the guy that has one....

GA_Boater

Why new posts in a thread that is 10 years old and asking questions of an OP who has been gone for more than 6 years?

Closed

Fun Times

Staff member
Just a quick note to all, 'Please watch out for the dates of all last replies as it is preferred here at iboats forums that any topic over 90 days remain an achieve topic like this one once was being it was about 10 years old now.:eek: Let them Rest In Peace Please:sleeping:.

Thanks to all as we appreciate your understanding in advance.
iboats Mod Team.:tea:

Status
Not open for further replies.