• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Mercruiser 5.7 MPI - Check Engine Code Reset

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser 5.7 MPI - Check Engine Code Reset

Hey all,

Been a frequent lurker on this forum but thought I would ask my first question. I have a 2002 Mercruiser 5.7L MPI Horizon engine. I've recently installed a new Mercmonitor onboard to provide engine monitoring data. First thing I've noticed after the installation, is that the unit is reporting a "check engine" alarm. Because the engine is the older generation, the Mercmonitor does not provide the detailed text description of the engine fault.

I *think* this check engine code is related to an alternator failure I had recently. Alternator packed it in and ran the battery down before I could get back to the dock. I think the code is a "low voltage" code that has been stored and needs to be reset.

Is there any way to manually reset the code without having to take the boat to a service location? All engine gauges report normal -- no alarms and the boat is running 100% now that the alternator has been fixed.
    sigpic
    Terry
    Victoria, BC
    <'((((><

Re: Mercruiser 5.7 MPI - Check Engine Code Reset

You will want to call rinda technologies and talk to them about the codemate tool they have for sale, Even though it's been a while now since I have seen this tool, I believe this tool also clears codes. (Not sure on that right now) But worth a call to find out. The guys at rinda technologies are very nice and helpful.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

Also if the problem has been fixed, Then normaly the ECM will clear it's self after a certain amount of key ups, The rinda guys may know a little more about how many key ups it takes, That is if no one else chimes in here that may remember how many key ups it is for this engine.
    Hope this helps, Good luck with it.
    In the long run, Using OEM parts may just cost you less money!

Comment

Ayuh,... I donno about Merc's 'puters, but like About Any other 'puter,...
      Unhook the Power for a few minutes will clear codes...
      Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Thanks for the link. I've looked at the Rinda tool before. I don't think the codemate can actually reset the code -- it just provides the flashing lights that lets you read the code detail. I have sent them an email to see if they might have a consumer grade version of their PC tool available to allow users to read codes. I've seen this tool priced in the past and I think it's close to $800 which is a little steep for a weekend warrior.

I did try disconnecting the battery for >1hr and it didn't remove the code. Someone had mentioned to me in another forum that the 555 ECU will store the fault until it's cleared.

Then again, this check engine code may be an active code. I've now restarted the boat probably 30-40 times since replacing the alternator so I'd guess the code would have cleared by then if it does it via key-ons.
        sigpic
        Terry
        Victoria, BC
        <'((((><

Comment

You don't need all the fancy software for a laptop and all that goes with it.
          The scan tool can tell you everything you need to know, and do all the tests at half the price, and you can read it when the suns out.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Thanks. I've confirmed that the Code Mate will not work:

Compatible with MEFI-1 thru MEFI-4 marine
            EFI systems. CodeMate serves as an EFI fault
            code indicator and a base timing service tool.
            CodeMate flashes fault code sequences on its
            built-in malfunction indicator lamp and also
            allows base spark advance to be set when used
            with a timing light.

This tool is not for use with MEFI-5,
            MerCruiser PCM-555, ECM-555, Volvo EGC
            or other marine EFI systems.

The Rinda tools look very good, but they are priced beyond what I'd consider a limited use type of application. The handheld tool is $399 (plus $40 for an adapter) -- or their PC software/cable is $570. Easier to swallow for a shop that would get more use out of it -- but I'm thinking this is the sort of tool I'd use 1-2x per year max.

Looks like OBD Diagnostics has a Scan tool that is PC based at $195 -- I've written them to find out if this tool can reset codes and will see what they say.
            sigpic
            Terry
            Victoria, BC
            <'((((><

Comment

Looks like OBD Diagnostics has a Scan tool that is PC based at $195
              They do not work on marine engines. Rinda is the only ones that I know of that makes diagnostic tools for marine applications.
              Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
              That is what the forums are for.
              Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Below is some information about Sticky and non sticky faults.

All faults are classified as either Sticky or non-Sticky.

Sticky means that the fault, once set, will continue to show up as active, even if the circuit or problem has corrected itself. A key switch cycle is required to reset a Sticky fault.

A non-Sticky fault is a fault that will change it's status from active to inactive without requiring a key switch cycle.

The CDS diagnostic tool will continue to display a Sticky fault as active even though the cause of the fault has been corrected. Cycle the Key to reset all faults if there is difficulty correcting a fault.

Also here is one other way that I found that might clear up a fault that you could try out if you would like to, See Note below.

NOTE: On models with the trim with key off feature, The control handle must be placed in full reverse "WOT" after cycling the key switch to reset a sticky fault.

(FYI) I was kind of right, Because if you would have had an older engine that uses the MEFI-1 thru MEFI-4 marine EFI systems, Then the information below is how you would be able to do it with the CodeMate tool.

CLEARING CODES USING DIAGNOSTIC CODE
                TOOL (NON-SCAN)
                1. Install diagnostic code tool.
                2. Turn key ON.
                3. Select service mode on code tool.
                4. To clear codes, move the throttle, while in neutral,
                from 0% to 100% then back to 0%.
                5. Exit “Service Mode” on code tool.
                6. Start engine and let run for fifteen seconds.
                7. Turn key OFF for 5 seconds.
                8. Select “Service Mode” on code tool.
                9. Turn key ON and read codes. If codes are still
                present, check note following and repeat from
                Step 1.
                10. Refer to appropriate Troubleshooting and/or
                Diagnostic Charts
                A poorly charged battery or engine cranking problem
                may result in an ECM “reset” and may not allow
                stored trouble codes to be cleared from EEPROM
                memory. If this condition exists, BE SURE the battery
                is fully charged.
                NOTE: If a low battery condition does exists the audio
                warning buzzer will come on for 2 seconds after
                engine start-up.
                In the long run, Using OEM parts may just cost you less money!

Comment

Got it cleared today by a local tech with his laptop tool. The Check Engine code was indeed left over from when my alternator packed it in. The Engine Guardian had kicked in so the actual code was an Over-Rev code (actual engine RPM was only 2900 at the time). Good to know it was nothing serious -- everything else checked out fine.
                  sigpic
                  Terry
                  Victoria, BC
                  <'((((><

Comment

Working...
                  X