GLM Manifolds

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a manifold that needs to have the gasket area re-surfaced, and got a quote of $75 per side! I am on borrowed time with these and figured I should just replace them both.

Has anyone seen GLM manifolds as of late? I know 3-4 years back their quality was not good, has this changed?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: GLM Manifolds

Ayuh,... The 1s I bought needed remachining...

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did a search and saw your post, but that was awhile back- any idea if their quality has improved at all?

Have you had any other issues with them?

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I started doing that but to get it right I would need to file down 1/16" or so, which is a lot of material to get down with a file.

stimps

Cadet

I bought some GLM manifolds and risers for a 4.3 volvo a few weeks back. Absolutley awful things in my opinion. There was loads of voids in the castings and even the gasket surface was painted which when cleaned off revealed lots of pits. Lots of muck left inside so generally not impressed.
I sent them back at cost and bought some HGE ones from another supplier instead, these looked pretty well made, bolted straight on with no machining and are running great. Much happier. I might have just been unlucky but it seems a few others have had similar experience.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I started using the HGE kits last year for customer's boats.
Zero problems out of about 6 or 7 sets of them.
I like the kits from ebasicpower,all new bolts and hardware,quality gaskets.

They do come in black primer so a good coat of paint is needed.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Going to order a set of HGE Manifolds.

I agree the sets from ebasicpower looked to be a great deal . I was just shopping for some 350 mercruiser replacements and they had the best deal. But i found i nice used set of mercs at a local shop for 250.00 W/risers.lucked out

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay- Ebasic is out of stock on the HGE's and they are backordered for an undetermined amount of time. The guy also told me that they are China products and I would be much better off with the American made Osco or Barr manifolds (as I assumed).

Ended up ordering the OSCO's I had them on a previous boat and the quality was great. $344 including $6 shipping (seems too good to be true, but I called them and they confirmed it).

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey CascoBay,

I see you already bought your manifolds but I figured I would post this anyway for those in the future that might research the GLM's. I baught a set and If it wasn't for bondo telling me about checking them things could have been catastrophic. Below are some pics of what everyone is talking about notice the holiday's in the middle of the surface at the water ports, that's where it was the worst :eek: right where water would run into your exhaust ports

100_9358.jpg

after 10 min of draw filing, and cleaning file with file card still holidays :mad:
100_9365.jpg

I did finally get them flat, the next thing I am going to do is check the GLM risers

You have made a wise choice with the OSCO's but I would check them anyway just to be safe

Regards

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! Incredible.

I will run a file over the oscos (gotta remove the paint anyway) to make sure its flat, thanks for the photos!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

HMMMMMM my engines both have glm manifolds on them.... po had them prof installed..... I guess I will be pulling the risers and checking..... I never even considered that they might have issues...

Bondo

Staff member

I baught a set and If it wasn't for bondo telling me about checking them things could have been catastrophic.
Ayuh,... Pretty much like Mine,... About .010 to .015 Low in the center gasket face...

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Out of curiosity I looked at ebasicpower for manifolds for my rig. Is it just a coincidence that the part numbers start with GLM?

zbnutcase

Commander

I have never been happy with GLM anything! 'nutcase

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would be willing to bet that even the OEMs aren't always perfect.......

Maybe this is why Mercury went to "Dryjoint" manifolds.....

It absolutely solves this problem once and for all.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would be willing to bet that even the OEMs aren't always perfect....
Nothing is ever perfect obviously but the Volvo and Mercruiser obviously are demanding of the quality of the company that source them their manifolds. If a bad batch of manifolds get put on engines, they want to minimize their warranty exposure. It is such a critical part that I am surprised more people take the risk of these aftermarket versions. I know if I had a repair shop, I would hesitate putting them on a customer's boat.

skargo

Banned

What are "holidays?"

And what are "dry joint" manifolds?