Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What's the best way you all have found to drain the engine oil from a Mercruiser engine? I don't have a drain tube on the oil pan. I have been looking for a pump that I can use through the dip-stick tube, but every one I find, there are horrible reviews saying that it doesn't work well, etc.

So, what's the easiest/best way to remove the oil from my (1989) 350 Mercruiser?

skargo

Banned
Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

I use a Moeller, and it works perfectly, spills not a drop!

9547.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should have a dip stick tube that mounts in the bottom of the oil pan. Which means all you have to do is hook up a hose to the top of the dipstick tube and suck the oil out. After you warm the engine up. You do not have to stick a tube down inside of the dipstick tube.

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

$15 plastic pump from shuck's works just fine for me,,,
030510003.jpg

skargo

Banned

You should have a dip stick tube that mounts in the bottom of the oil pan. Which means all you have to do is hook up a hose to the top of the dipstick tube and suck the oil out. After you warm the engine up. You do not have to stick a tube down inside of the dipstick tube.

When did they change that Don? I see people mention they hook the hose to the top of the tube a lot here.
My engine is a 1978 5.7, I have to stick the tube inside of the dipstick tube, but it works great. A couple pumps then walk away. Come back and the oil is all sucked out.

ziggy

Admiral

if ya don't have the special dip stick all the way to the bottom. the tool skargo uses works great. it's what i use too... very clean way to do the deed..

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the feedback, folks. That Moeller pump is a pricey little bugger. Sounds like the way to go though. Ordering one now.

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When did they change that Don? I see people mention they hook the hose to the top of the tube a lot here.
My engine is a 1978 5.7, I have to stick the tube inside of the dipstick tube, but it works great. A couple pumps then walk away. Come back and the oil is all sucked out.

It was in the early to mid 80's they started using the dipstick hooked to the pan, not sure exactly when. If the dipstick tube is attached to the bottom of the pan, you don't need a tube inside it.

skargo

Banned

It was in the early to mid 80's they started using the dipstick hooked to the pan, not sure exactly when. If the dipstick tube is attached to the bottom of the pan, you don't need a tube inside it.

Gotcha, I had heard of people hooking them to the tube and was confused.

I actually got my Moeller from a vendor who gives coupons for so much money spent, made it cheap. I think it retails around $60 IIRC.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

like you, i was skeptical of all pumps due to reading reviews and opted on the Moeller also. west marine had it on sale online last year so i bought it then. my buddy went to buy one a couple months ago and they weren't selling them anymore in the store or on the web. i get one of there numerous emails the other day and see there selling them again under there own name! anyway, it is an awesome pump and comes with both tubes for the screw on and non screw on dipstick tubes. now if i only had a oil filter relocation kit, id be set! man did i make a mess getting a frozen filter off. :redface:

skargo

Banned

like you, i was skeptical of all pumps due to reading reviews and opted on the Moeller also. west marine had it on sale online last year so i bought it then. my buddy went to buy one a couple months ago and they weren't selling them anymore in the store or on the web. i get one of there numerous emails the other day and see there selling them again under there own name! anyway, it is an awesome pump and comes with both tubes for the screw on and non screw on dipstick tubes. now if i only had a oil filter relocation kit, id be set! man did i make a mess getting a frozen filter off. :redface:

I dumped oil in my bilge, by dropping my filter. :redface: I'll use a freezer bag next time!
I have one of those oil absorbers in my bilge right now.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dumped oil in my bilge, by dropping my filter. :redface: I'll use a freezer bag next time!
I have one of those oil absorbers in my bilge right now.

Great idea!! I did not think of using a freezer bag when taking of the oil filter off. I just used an old towel and put it under the filter. Now a can save a towel. Thanks

skargo

Banned

Great idea!! I did not think of using a freezer bag when taking of the oil filter off. I just used an old towel and put it under the filter. Now a can save a towel. Thanks

I didn't think of it either, I read about it here AFTER I made a mess haha

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto on the Mueller/West Marine pump. I've used it on my last two boats. Warm your engine first, then shut it down. Put the plastic hose in or on the dipstick tube (I always stuck the hose down the tube.) and pump a few times. Suction does the rest. Using a funnel, pour the used oil into a couple of gallon jugs and recycle properly. Keep some toweling handy for any drips as you remove the tubing. The 305/350 oil filter is a real challenge if you don't have a relocation kit. A large ziplock bag works great once you've got it loose. Remember to check that the old rubber seal came off with the filter. Put a little oil on the new seal and fill the filter before you install it. Then sit back and have a cold one. Good luck. Hy

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 305/350 oil filter is a real challenge if you don't have a relocation kit.

my first oil change ever, i ripped the bottom of the filter off with a strap wrench and the top of the filter didn't budge. two hours later i was ready to pull the motor. i finally contorted myself into a upside down unnatural position where it was either gonna come loose or i would have broke my arm. i screamed a little and bled some but i won! :D paid much homage to the boat gods that night.